• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Storm (Babet) Petrels (1 Viewer)

david kelly

Drive-by Birder
Scotland
There’s been an unprecedented influx of storm petrels into the Firth of Forth likely as a result of Storm Babet, mostly European Storm Petrels but quite a few Leach’s too. On the Lothian side between Hound Point and Dunbar. Also Grey Phalaropes, Sooty Shearwaters, Little Auks, Long-tailed Skua etc.

David

The influx is still happening this morning with more Grey Phalaropes, Long-tailed Skuas and Little Auks being seen, as well as good numbers of Little Gulls.

To put this in context, up to 2020 there were 15 records of Leach’s Petrel in Lothian. Yesterday there were 70 at South Queensferry with multiples at Joppa, Musselburgh, Cockenzie & Port Seton and Dunbar. A Storm Petrel record in 2020 was the first in the recording area since 2011 but there were probably in excess of 100 birds yesterday.

David

Sounds like quite an influx David!

As an aside, the mention of the Firth of Forth brings back “haunting memories” for me as an unchaperoned 14 year old, staying with my aunt and uncle during the Summer term c’61.
My first “un be knowing” vacational trip, as I walked out (at low tide) across the mud flats at Grangemouth to view (lifer) Arctic Skuas chasing the Terns (also lifers), squinting through a pair of old battered opera glasses x2 almost oblivious to the incoming tide then realising and “running” with the wellies (not easy) through glutinous mud….halcyon days.

Back to topic, sounds spectacular, no doubt “all” will be well received by the locals.👍

Some Storm Petrels were still around yesterday but the icing on the Storm Babet cake was a rather cooperative near summer plumage White-billed Diver at Port Seton, it moved slightly farther east into Gosford Bay today.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back