• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stop-over in Singapore in July (1 Viewer)

I also think that doing it on your own is a good solution, I have been a couple of times to Singapore on business trips and I found that the walk up Bukit Timah was very worthwhile and you can see some species that for some reason or another are easier to see than in Peninsular Malaysia, or were then...

I could send you a list if you are interested. You need a field guide to the birds of Peninsular Malaysia to cover that country...

Cheers, Mike
Thanks, Mike – yes, this is looking like the only affordable way to do it, and there are seemingly several good places to visit that would provide good birds. Bukit Timah and Hindhede are definitely on the agenda, though I understand that the Central Water Catchment just over the highway is also good, especially for owls pre-dawn.

I was about to start a new thread about Singapore, then I saw this thread.
If I go in June or July, how much will the rain make it hard to bird?
I can read a month-by-month climate table, but that doesn't quite tell me how long a spell of rain would normally last, how heavy the rain normally is, or indeed which birding spots are preferable or less preferable on a day when one's outing will be interrupted by rain (availability of shelter, slipperiness or muddiness of paths etc).
Any practical advice in this regard would be much appreciated. Cheers!

I was about to start a new thread about Singapore, then I saw this thread.
If I go in June or July, how much will the rain make it hard to bird?
I can read a month-by-month climate table, but that doesn't quite tell me how long a spell of rain would normally last, how heavy the rain normally is, or indeed which birding spots are preferable or less preferable on a day when one's outing will be interrupted by rain (availability of shelter, slipperiness or muddiness of paths etc).
Any practical advice in this regard would be much appreciated. Cheers!

I have just returned for a week in Singapore. In this limited experience the weather was consistently hot and humid but mostsly dry. Thunder threatened on one day but never amounted to anything local, another day was threatening all day but it turned out to be just one local short shower and some very light drizzle, the remaining day was again threatening rain most of the day but there was just one torrential downpour of about 20 minutes. All the parks/reserves I went to had shelters strategically placed. Many routes are surfaced or are boardwalks but there are also sections that would get slippery after rain but would not be impassable.

I have just returned for a week in Singapore. In this limited experience the weather was consistently hot and humid but mostsly dry. Thunder threatened on one day but never amounted to anything local, another day was threatening all day but it turned out to be just one local short shower and some very light drizzle, the remaining day was again threatening rain most of the day but there was just one torrential downpour of about 20 minutes. All the parks/reserves I went to had shelters strategically placed. Many routes are surfaced or are boardwalks but there are also sections that would get slippery after rain but would not be impassable.
Thanks for the gen. I'll have wet weather and sunny clothes (I'll be in NZ beforehand), but will check the forecast for the day I'm there.

I also think that doing it on your own is a good solution, I have been a couple of times to Singapore on business trips and I found that the walk up Bukit Timah was very worthwhile and you can see some species that for some reason or another are easier to see than in Peninsular Malaysia, or were then...

I could send you a list if you are interested. You need a field guide to the birds of Peninsular Malaysia to cover that country...

Cheers, Mike
Thanks, Mike – it would be interesting to see your list (PM me, if you wish). I've got the recent Lim Kim Sen field guide but can't afford his personal services!

Singapore in July will be at its hottest and most oppressive - something that needs to be taken seriously, especially if you are new to the tropics. Birding is also least productive as all the northern migrants will have moved away - although a lot of the residents are still pretty neat, especially if you haven't visited SE Asia before (though maybe less so if you're familiar with Hong Kong as compared to being a primarily UK/European birder). If you're a reasonably experienced birder you should be able to see some neat birds doing your own thing. Obviously a good guide lets you tap into a great store of local knowledge, and will give you a real advantage on more difficult species, but when discussing birding in general, one thing that really stands out is how approachable the birds are in Singapore and how many birds there are compared to say Jakarta. Trapping isn't the problem it is in many other parts of Asia and although very little of the original rainforest remains, trees have been planted everywhere, affording plenty of habitat for those birds able to adapt to it.

It's been a while since I was back at that time, but July isn't as rainy as say October or November; in fact that's the period in which haze from clearance by burning in Indonesia and elsewhere in the region can be a health problem. You can expect rain some days when the clouds dump the moisture that has been evaporating all day in the heat, but although these downpours can be intense, they are often short - you won't have the entire day blotted out by heavy rain. Some paths in the Central Water Catchment area in particular will be muddy after rain, but there are always other spots to try.

I would also suggest joining one of the local Facebook groups for Singapore, e.g.: Bird Sightings | Facebook. Many of the birders in Singapore are more photography-focused (so there's a 'LOT' of photos to wade through), but they do also quickly post any interesting birds that get seen.

As others have mentioned though, July is not the greatest month so there might not be too much interesting activity. I'm also going in July but plan to make it more interesting by visiting Panti forest in Johor, as that is great at any time of the year and you can pick up a bunch of forest specialties that are long gone from Singapore.

From Singapore here. Drop me a PM, if I'm free, happy to help if I'm free that day, otherwise can share information.

July should be fine for weather, perhaps some short thunderstorms in afternoons. Migratory season wouldn't have started yet but can try for the resident species.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back