• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sternula nereis davisae Mathews & Iredale, 1913 (1 Viewer)

PScofield

Australia
I have been pondering the honourific for New Zealand Fairy Tern a while.

The type of S. nereis davisae was supposedly “collected and presented” by Sir Samuel Edward Scott to the BMNH in 1895 along with 58 other New Zealand Birds. (Ibis series 7 vol 2: 592)

So who was Sir Samuel Edward Scott? Apparently an “enormously rich” banker and British Conservative Party politician.

“Sir Samuel Scott, 6th Bt. was born in 1873. He married Lady Sophie Beatrix Mary Cadogan, daughter of George Henry Cadogan, 5th Earl Cadogan and Lady Beatrix Jane Craven, on 29 June 1896. He died on 20 February 1943.”

That s a bit of a red-herring I think. There’s quite a lot on the internet about how his wife left him for Lord Delamere in 1899 and his undistinguished career in Politics but despite extensive searches no evidence of Sir Samuel Scott coming to NZ can be gleamed. So where did Scott get these birds? And did that have any bearing on the name Mathews & Iredale used?

One possibility I briefly considered was from John King Davis who “knocked about” NZ for a bit in the 1890s (he of course served as Chief Officer of the Nimrod during Ernest Shackleton's Antarctic expedition in 1908–1909. He was Captain of the Aurora and second in command of Douglas Mawson's Australasian Antarctic Expedition in 1911–1914). But he was a batchelor…

Possible but unlikely (due to the dates) is the wife of Consett Davis who definitely knew Iredale in the 40s and maybe earlier (Australian Zoologist, Vol. 30(1)).

There is a brief mention of a New Zealander Mr Davis at an BOC meeting in Melbourne in 1912 that HL White was also at. But that’s all I can find about him.

There is a hilarious possibility that Wayne Longmore once told me about

"Many years back John Disney enthralled us with one of his stories about Iredale. Apparently one day at his suburban Sydney house a son/daughter, I can’t recall which so I will refer here to the person being a son, answered a knock on the door. The person was requesting to speak with Tom, and when asked in relation to what they replied ‘I am his son [?] from New Zealand’. Iredale had apparently had a second family over there and had never mentioned it to his second wife Lillian Medland or any of his family."

So I guess I am asking “Does any one on this list know of a Mrs Davis that some time before 1913 either caught the eye of Mathews or Iredale OR might have collected a NZ Fairy Tern for Sir Samuel Edward Scott.”

Cheers Paul

Wikipedia says: (Iredale) Whilst working in London he lived with Jane Davies, a concert singer, whom he met at a Rothchild's soiree in 1910. The relationship was affected by his explorations abroad although a son and four daughters were born between 1910 and 1917. (The son died in infancy).[2] Does Davies become davisae?

Last edited:
Paul, this bird is not present in my MS and I know little of it (and nothing of the person commemorated), but after a quick look all I can say is:

• the subspecies New Zealand Fairy Tern (Sterna) Sternula nereis davisae MATHEWS & IREDALE 1913 (here, p.245, not "432" as said on Avibase!) ... with references to; Thomas Henry Potts (here, 1870, not "1871") and Walter Lawry Buller (here) ... with no Davies what-so-ever in sight (neither a Mr. nor a Mrs. or even a Miss).

And no tern mentioned in on pp.592-593 (Ibis, ser 7:vol.2), here, from 1896.

Today's HBW Alive Key tells us as follow:
davisae
Lillian Edwedinah Davis née Ball (fl. 1883) mother of New Zealand business magnate Sir George Francis Davis (Michael Watkins in litt.) (subsp. Sternula nereis).
If Michael Watkins is correct (based on what, is unknown to me, but James apparently found it trustworthy), according to here: Sir Samuel Scott, 6th baronet of Lytchet Minster, Dorset (25 Oct 1873 - 21 Feb 1943).
For further informaton on the baronet's wife and the scandal in which she was involved, see the note at the foot of this page.
[far down...]
Lady Sophia Cadogan (1874-1937), wife of Sir Samuel Edward Scott, 6th baronet
[It´s a looong story, full of drama]
His father was Edward Henry Scott, (19 Feb 1842 - Aug 1883, 5th baronet ...)

With that info it ought to be possible to verify the name (and years) of the "mother of New Zealand business magnate Sir George Francis Davis" ...

If of any help?

Björn
___

Last edited:
Rachel Warren's Type specimens of the birds in the British Museum says S. Scott collected davisae.
http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/35377#page/94/mode/1up . The museum's registration number starts 1895. The Ibis mentions 58 birds from New Zealand presented by Sir Samuel Scott Bart. bart is short for baronet. In 1899 Sir Samuel Scott is on a yachting trip but as the second Boer War starts he sails his yacht from Ceylon to Natal and starts fighting. One guess is that in 1895 when he is 22 and unmarried he sails the yacht to New Zealand and collects 58 birds. ?? Mrs Davis may have no connection to Scott because Scott's bird is a syntype. Mrs Davis may be connected to another syntype. Or Mathews may have just been currying favor with a powerful person? Lillian Ball was born in America and married Mr. Davis in England and went out to New Zealand.
Sir Samuel Scott and Sophie had one child that died in 1902 and was born in 1902. She had a miscarriage in 1899. Here is a picture of Sophie Scott as Megaera who is a fury who the Greeks believed was the cause of jealousy and envy, and punishes people who commit crimes, especially marital infidelity.
http://lafayette.org.uk/sco1474.html .

Last edited:
Thanks for all this - all interesting stuff. The Mathews and Iredale description says specifically "Type in the British Museum" hence I suspect that 1895.3.15.29 is a holotype not a syntype - I have found many such discrepancies in the Warren list. Eitherway there seems little doubt that the description is based on a single specimen collected by "someone" that was donated by Scott.

Does anyone have a contact for Michael Watkins? I would like to find out where he got the information that Lillian Edwedinah Davis was the honouree?

Paul

Paul thank you for the referal to The mystery of the honorees.
he named one of the most beautiful bird of paradise genera Visendavis Iredale, 1948. Some have interpreted this name as being a combination of the Latin words vīsenda (the plural noun form of viso) meaning things worth notice and avis for bird. I suggest that this name could have been a deliberate double entendre with possible explanations being both “a noticeable bird” and viso “to behold” and “davis” for Jeanne Davis,
"Some have interpreted" means Björn. See No. 16 of HBWAlive Key; mission accomplished or mission impossible?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back