• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Squeaky' bird (1 Viewer)

Frost1976

I was in Northern Cyprus earlier this week, up in the mountains in a pine forest, near some ruins and I heard an odd call and I wondered if anyone might be able to help....

There were a series of single squeaks, several in a row, each with a pause in between, followed by some chatter, then silence, then repeat.

I was unable to get eyes on what was making the calls, all I did see prior to that was two small, sparrow(ish) size birds fly towards the tree where the call was coming from but the sun meant I couldn't get the binos on them. The tree was positioned on the edge of an outcrop meaning I couldn't get too close.

The squeaking sound sounded, for the life of me, a bit like Sweep (from Sooty fame). Those who aren't Brits can sample some of the puppet's finest work here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gEns3odJ50&feature=related

But, like I said, it was a single "squeak"........."squeak"......."squeak" rather than any kind of melody. I've never heard anything quite like it before.

I appreciate this is a bit of an odd one, just wondered whether someone might have any bright ideas to help my confusion!

The chatter and the squeak could have come from 2 seperate sources ..chatter being the birds ... sounds like some sort of warbler ... the squeaking could possibly have been a branch bending in the breeze ..not saying that it is as i wasnt there .. but theres many a time ive been up north in a Scots pine forest and experienced a squeak then pause and thats all that its been

Cheers Harry, I know what you mean, but it was too regular and repetitive to be a tree. Part of me wondered squirrel or other mammal but it definitely sounded bird like.

Furthermore, after a while of listening to it and attempting to scramble down the cliff for a better view, it suddenly stopped!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back