• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spelling query (1 Viewer)

MJB

Which is correct: willkonskii or wilkonskii for the name of the ssp of Tawny Owl Strix aluco? IOC and most other lists favour the former.
MJB

Which is correct: willkonskii or wilkonskii for the name of the ssp of Tawny Owl Strix aluco? IOC and most other lists favour the former.
MJB
The Key has this:
willkouskii
Original spelling of specific name Syrnium willkonskii Menzbier, 1896: "a friend of mine, Mr. Willkousky, in Batum ... I have named the species after Mr. Willkousky." The spelling was subsequently corrected by Menzbier. in the same journal.
and this:
willkonskii
Florian Wilkoński (fl. 1896) Polish ornithologist, collector in the Caucasus (Laurent Raty in litt.) (subsp. Strix aluco) (see willkouskii).
Which suggests to me that willkonskii is correct but it ought to have been wilkonskii.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back