• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Sudan - Weaver (1 Viewer)

coffee&veranda

Dear all,

Could you please help me in ID this weaver?

Nyal - Sudd swamps - South Sudan

Thanks in advance
Federico

Attachments

• tbd.jpg
    tbd.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 26
Difficult to be sure from that angle... the bird is rather large-billed, orange eye I'm thinking Village Weaver Ploceus cucullatus

Hello Roland,

Thank you very much for replying, What is the angle that would help? I have several pics of this bird? I post some more

In this area we have northern masked weaver, vitelline weaver,cinnamon weaver and little weaver. I exclude the last two but i actually found this one pretty different from what I have seen so far.

Best regards
Federico

Attachments

• tbd2.jpg
    tbd2.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 21
  • tbd3.jpg
    tbd3.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 12
Yes, I meant a view of the upperside would help. To me the bird still looks like a Village Weaver, female. Do you have an idea about the size as Village is larger compared to the other species you mention.

Hello Roland,

Yes it was clearly bigger, and I checked better and it is also recorded for the area. Village Weaver then, thank you very much.

Federico

Hi Federico
I agree that this is a Village Weaver. I would be very interested in any photos you get of Cinnamon Weavers, as I was studying them until recently in northern Sudan. Some claim the southern ones could be a different subspecies, so I am keen to see some pictures.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back