• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African mammals, October 2012 (1 Viewer)

As discussed on another thread I've included a link to my mammal report from a trip to South Africa in October 2012. I was lucky enough to see most of my targets including Aardvark, Cape Porcupine and Black-footed Cat.

http://mammalwatching.com/Afrotropical/other reports/MR South Africa 2012.docx

Thanks for putting this up again Mike (I enjoyed it over on mw.com and just enjoyed it for a second time - mark of a good trip report). As I hinted at on t'other thread I'll be giving the naturetrek itinerary for some of these species a go next year. I've no doubt I could save a bit and bespoke an itinerary myself for most of these but since this one touched most of my target bases and after the ease and success of (and enjoyable crews I've got to spend time with on) my last couple of NT trips I thought I'd give it a go this way. I'll throw up a report in 10 months to let you know how we compared!

At some point I suspect I'm going to end up having to do a southern africa clearance trip to target the bits I've missed on my other trips; I suspect that one's going to involve a long, long time studying a lot of trip reports.

Thanks for the comments

. I'll throw up a report in 10 months to let you know how we compared!

At some point I suspect I'm going to end up having to do a southern africa clearance trip to target the bits I've missed on my other trips; I suspect that one's going to involve a long, long time studying a lot of trip reports.

I would certainly be interested in your report. I noticed the trip includes small mammal trapping which will most likely throw up some interesting mice and gerbils.

There's still plenty of mammals left for me in SA including all the cetaceans, Brown Hyena and various ungulates to name a few. I would also love to see a live Striped Polecat. Problem is all my targets are evenly spread across the country making planning any future itinerary a logistical nightmare!

Nice report, Mark, and congrats in particular on the black-footed cat. Very impressive location for otherwise tough night-active species.

One plea, though: Any chance you can convert future trip reports into pdf? I don't have any flavour of office on my machine at home, and I'd prefer to keep it like that (though if all else fails there's the machine at work...).

Now where does Southern Africa (the third) fit into my list of future trips, I wonder...

Andrea

Hi Andrea

I usually write a far more detailed report on my own website but I'm very short of time at the moment hence a shorter version for mammalwatching.com. I agree that a PDF version would be a better format for reports on the site.

If you include Marrick Safari in Kimberley on any future trip to South Africa you stand a very good chance of seeing the same species.

Cheers

Nice report, Mark, and congrats in particular on the black-footed cat. Very impressive location for otherwise tough night-active species.

One plea, though: Any chance you can convert future trip reports into pdf? I don't have any flavour of office on my machine at home, and I'd prefer to keep it like that (though if all else fails there's the machine at work...).

Now where does Southern Africa (the third) fit into my list of future trips, I wonder...

Andrea

Andrea

You can open Word documents with various free Office suites.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back