• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African Birding Sites (1 Viewer)

Simon A

Hi everyone,
I'm in a suitably hyperactive state, as it looks as if I'll be visiting South Africa for about 9-10 days in August - WoooHooo!

Therefore, can anyone out there advise me on any of the following?

A good field guide to birds? (Newman, SASOL, etc).
A field guide to mammals?
A wildflower guide?

Now it looks as if I'll be staying in the following two places (this is more of a general holiday with my better half, but gazing into the crystal ball, I forsee lots of birding ahead), so if anyone knows them or has any site guides, lists, contacts for guides, sites for particualr species, etc then I would be eternally in your debt.

The two sites are:
Drakensberg (cathedral peak lodge);
Chitwa Chitwa site at Kruger National Park.

Also, it looks as if I'll have a whole day to myself in Johannesburg between flights, so any suggestions for locations achievable by foot or taxi, also appreciated.

I'll be aquiring a digital camera afore the trip, so I promise to do my best to preserve as much top wildlife for posterity as possible.

Many thanks,

Hi Simon. I think that Newman is the best field guide, the pics are a reasonable size and well-displayed and it is easy to find birds in this book. Sasol is also good but the pics are smaller, more to a page, not so easy in a hurry. I use my Sasol as a back-up guide for when I need more information, so it would travel with me in the Kruger park for example, but I would only carry Newman when walking in the Berg. There are some great birds in the Drakensberg, especially if you walk through scrub and forest. You will find that there will be several well-marked walks around where you are staying, and I am sure that they will have a map for you. If you would like me to phone them about any of this, PM me. I am not sure if you will have transport? If so, as a day trip, there is a small resort called Spioenkop which is probably only 40 minutes away from where you will be staying. It has a dam and a drive-round game park where there are rhino, buffalo, giraffe, wildebeeste, zebra, black-backed jackal and various antelope. There are also lots of birds here. Not many water birds unfortunately as the dam is too deep. You cannot walk through the game park, although you can get out of your car, but at the far end there is a walk on the other side of the electric fence which goes through thick indigenous bush.
I am not sure if you are going to Kruger first, but between Kruger and the Berg there is an area called Chrissiesmeer, where there are various lodges, B&Bs and so on. It is an area of shallow pans and the bird life here is wonderful ( I have not yet been, but have heard many reports) so if you were able to spend a night or two here it would be worthwhile.
Are you actually staying inside the Kruger Park? I ask because I have not heard of the place you mention and woner if it is a private resort on the outside of the park. Anyway, terrific birding in the park, mostly early mornings, in the winter (as it will be here) between about eight and eleven.
Hmmn, just read your post again - looks as though you may be flying to these destinations. I will look into birding sites in Johannesburg and let you know.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back