• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Souni? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

I keep on reading reports of Bee-eaters, Rollers and other migrants at Souni (which I know is inland from Limassol) on the Cyrpus Birdline.

Souni is not featured in any report or guide, so although the village may be easy to locate, does anyone have anymore detail about how to bird this small area and where exactly to go?:t:

I keep on reading reports of Bee-eaters, Rollers and other migrants at Souni (which I know is inland from Limassol) on the Cyrpus Birdline.

Souni is not featured in any report or guide, so although the village may be easy to locate, does anyone have anymore detail about how to bird this small area and where exactly to go?:t:

Hi Wolfbirder, I didn't know this at the time of my visit but the worldbirds cyprus page has details of many birding locations that are not listed within the site guides, I think these are probably details from local resident birders generally and are a bit like birdtrack sort of data, at Souni there are a variety of sites listed.

Andy

Hi Souni is a great birding spot, a birding friend moved there several years ago, we stayed with them last year, loads of rollers, hoopoe, greater spotted cuckoo, bee eaters every where, you get to it from the A6 up to mandria, then up towards troodos, eagles buzzards, get in touch with bird life Cyprus, we arn't going till October, but really looking forward to it. MC

Sorry for not responding to this (much) earlier. The delay was because I actually have not yet ever birded in Souni, and wasn't sure where it was. One of the other members of the BirdLife Cyprus council lives in Souni though, and was able to give directions:
I have a quick question for you, not having been birding in Souni to my knowledge - where is it exactly? As I understand looking on the map, there seems to be a Souni-Zanakia about 8km north of Erimi/Kolossi, etc. Is that about right?
Hi Dan

You are correct. We live in the Souni part. Take the Omodos road from Kantou off the motorway, at the 2nd Erimi turn. Turn left at the T-junction, heading to Kantou, then up the hill.

Go past the first sign to Souni (new road - not many birds in that area). You'll see the church on the left as you go up the hill. There is a pedestrian sign and another Souni sign (saying 1 km). Take that right-hand turn (just past the recently closed Cherrie's cafe), go down into the dip and up the hill to the cross road.

I suggest you either turn left up Alexander the Great Street, which is where I live,following the Lordos developer's sign and park somewhere convenient then take the track northwards. Or, alternatively, go straight ahead at the cross roads until the track runs out and walk from there.

If you pass close to the church you are on the wrong road, so go back to the cross-road and start again.

Early morning is best. There are lots of tracks, many along the tops of ravines, and all eventually come back to the village outskirts.

If you want company, let me know in advance and I'll show you around.

Zanakia is also quite good. You can park in the village square and take the tracks behind the church. I don't get there as often as I should but it was excellent in the spring. With my recent spell of immobility I've not walked there recently, so can't advice on the best summer route to take. Watch out for snakes though - we see more crossing the road as we drive through Zanakia.

Happy birding.
I hope that helps.

Sorry for not responding to this (much) earlier. The delay was because I actually have not yet ever birded in Souni, and wasn't sure where it was. One of the other members of the BirdLife Cyprus council lives in Souni though, and was able to give directions:

I hope that helps.

Hi would that be June who lives in souni or Robert peel, as it was at his house we stayed, I found skins off snakes but was not lucky enough to see one.

That would be June, but the two of them are good friends and neighbors.

Yes I keep sending June any articals I see in the media, regarding things been reported about cyprus, are you a member, and do you go on field meets, we are hoping to come to nicocia this oct, as we have never been. Bob & Linda moved over there from the end of our street in england, infact we picked lind up from ther airport last week and took her to her sons in bradford, small world.

Last edited:
Yes I keep sending June any articals I see in the media, regarding things been reported about cyprus, are you a member, and do you go on field meets, we are hoping to come to nicocia this oct, as we have never been. Bob & Linda moved over there from the end of our street in england, infact we picked lind up from ther airport last week and took her to her sons in bradford, small world.
Yes I'm a member and just this year elected to the council also. I'm living in Nicosia myself, and lead the field trips a couple times a year, usually in Akrotiri. Feel free to send me a message while you're here in October - I'll do what I can to show you around.

Yes I'm a member and just this year elected to the council also. I'm living in Nicosia myself, and lead the field trips a couple times a year, usually in Akrotiri. Feel free to send me a message while you're here in October - I'll do what I can to show you around.

Thanks I apreciate that,we love it over there and the birds are out of this world, I met some lovely people last year on the larnaca field meet, I will be in touch, Thanks Mac & Helen

I hope that helps.

Thats great, will be really useful for my visit next year.:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back