• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Portuguese Orchids for ID (1 Viewer)

Tib78

Hi all,

I was on holydays from the 20th of february to the 3rd of march in Portugal.

Although these holydays were not dedicated to nature, I managed to record some nice birds (Richard's pipit; Ring ouzel; Blue rock thrush; Dartford warbler; Southern grey shrike; Little owl and Black-shouldered kite come to mind.)

I also saw a couple of early Orchids already flowering, which was a nice surprise. I'd like some help for their identification.

Some Ophrys first (my favourite genus!):

- pic 1: seen on a coastal cliff between Vila nova de milfontes and Almograve (Alentejo) O.tenthredinifera?

- pic 2 and 3: On the roadside near Odeceixe (Algave) O.tenthredinifera? Same plant on both pics.

- pic 4 and 5: same place as the previous one; same plant on both pics.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    472.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1412.jpg
    IMG_1412.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1413.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1414.jpg
    IMG_1414.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 62
Well that what quick Simon! Thanks a million.

I must admit I am bit disappointed that the last one is also an O.tenthredinifera. I thought the shape and pattern of the label would point to a different taxon.

Hey - nice photos!!

Thanks! I have already had a look at your site.

What a great place for birding you have down there with lots of natural spaces...add to that the climate, the tasty (and cheap!) food and the charming people...Portugal is a great place!

One more from Alentejo: Orchis papilionaceae?

Attachments

• IMG_0513bis.jpg
    IMG_0513bis.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 61
Oh dear its Orchis papilionaceae - I've never found that in the Algarve and I think its very localised in the Baixo Alentejo - here's a link with a map of records:

http://www.flora-on.pt/index.php#/70va6

On looking it looks like there is what I think must be a recent record from central Algarve - Rocha da Pena maybe?

Anyway, without giving exact location away, where did you find this approximately?

I must admit I am bit disappointed that the last one is also an O.tenthredinifera. I thought the shape and pattern of the label would point to a different taxon.

They are immensely variable in this respect - though never manage to look like other Ophrys down here.

What a great place for birding you have down there with lots of natural spaces...add to that the climate, the tasty (and cheap!) food and the charming people...Portugal is a great place!

Its a privilege - despite the economy problems here the quality of life is really enhanced by all the qualities you mention ;)

Some more on the roadside betwen Mertola and Serpa (Alentejo).

Orchis morio ?

Attachments

• P1010432bis.jpg
    P1010432bis.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 49
  • P1010433bis.jpg
    P1010433bis.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010436bis.jpg
    P1010436bis.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 40
  • P1010434bis.jpg
    P1010434bis.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 50
Lovely images, they look like Green Winged Orchids that we see in the UK in May.Anacamptis morio in Harrap's book."Lateral sepals always show fine, green parallel lines" "Leaves never spotted".

hope that helps but I'm a relative beginner with orchids.
Dave

Sorry Tib - somehow I overlooked your latest post. I would agree with Orchis morio and I should think they are the subspecies morio. Problem is there is a lot of clinal variability and I'm not well versed enough to asign the subsp. with any confidence. However, in my experience this is the regular one on soils in the area you saw them (fascinating area no - Tib?). Your plants are pretty early - can't remember seeing them before about the 10th March - but then, when I'm out in the Baixo Alentejo I'm usually too distracted with the birds!

I know some sources treat this species as an Anacamptis but I prefer to follow Flora ibérica, who treat them as Orchis - see attached:

Attachments

• Orchis.pdf
    694.7 KB · Views: 238
Thanks Simon and Dave.

It looks like a fascinating place indeed Simon. I wish I have had more time to look for birds (and orchids) when I was down there...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back