• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Japanese Eponyms (1 Viewer)

So The Key to Scientific Names have several orii
Hyojiro Orii (1883-?1948) Japanese collector in Japan, Korea, Manchuria and the Pacific (subsp. Aplonis opaca, subsp. Garrulus glandarius, syn. Poecile palustris brevirostris, subsp. Pycnonotus sinensis, subsp. Sittiparus varius, subsp. Streptopelia orientalis, subsp. Todiramphus albicilla, ‡syn. Troglodytes troglodytes mosukei, subsp. Turdus chrysolaus, subsp. Yungipicus kizuki).

This must be Hyojiro Orii (1883-1970) with picture in Wikipedia.

P.S. I did not check all the ODs of the subspecies and synonyms.

Last edited:
Buteo japonicus oshiroi Kuroda Jr, 1971 OD Nagahisa Kuroda: A new race of Buteo buteo from Minamidaito I., Borodino Is. Tori 20(89): 125–129. here (but not proper seen)

...and has been reared and being kept alive by Mr. Masao Oshiro in Naha City , Okinawa.

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Eastern Buzzard ssp Buteo japonicus oshiroi Kuroda, 1971 [Syn. Buteo buteo oshiroi]
Masao Oshiro (fl.1968) was a Japanese aviculturist.

The Key to Scientific Names
Masao Oshiro (fl. 1968) Japanese aviculturalist (subsp. Buteo japonicus).

No idea about his life dates.

This article by Yamashina 1931 mentions Bergmann and Uruppa??
Bergman (single -n, pace Yamashina) travelled in Kamchatka in 1920-23 and in the S Kurile in 1929-30, which produced the material that made up the base of the 1935 work I linked above. He made a communication at a meeting of the Japanese Ornithological Society about the birds of the Kurile in Nov 1930 (see p. 2 of Yamashina 1931), and Yamashina incorporated the data he presented there in this 1931 publication.

Yamashina's 1931 treatment of the nuthatches differed from that of Bergman 1935, though.
In 1931, Yamashina grouped all the Kurile Islands nuthatch populations with the Hokkaido populations in clara Stejneger 1887.
In 1935, Bergman separated the Kurile Islands nuthatch populations (Kunashiri = Kunashir, Yeterofu = Iturup, Uruppu = Urup) in takatsukasai "Momiyama".
Nowadays, we put the Kunashir populations in clara with those of Hokkaido, but separate those of Iturup and Urup in takatsukasai.

P.S. I did not check all the ODs of the subspecies and synonyms.
The "not seen" ones are in post-1922 Dobutsugaku Zasshi (動物学雑誌).
These are presumably all for the same person indeed.

Last edited:
Buteo japonicus oshiroi Kuroda Jr, 1971 OD Nagahisa Kuroda: A new race of Buteo buteo from Minamidaito I., Borodino Is. Tori 20(89): 125–129. here (but not proper seen)
Type: Possibly male, a live specimen at examination on Oct. 22, 1970. Six years and five months old. Collected on May 4, 1964 as new-born chick by Mr. K. Yonamine on Minamidaito I., Borodino Is. and has been reared and being kept alive by Mr. Masao Oshiro in Naha City, Okinawa I.
[...]
Its subspecific name is dedicated to Mr. Oshiro who has reared it from chick.
In the Japanese text of the next page, his name is 大城正雄氏 -- Oshiro Masao-shi.

Garrulus japonicus shimoizumii Momiyama , 1939 , Dôbutsu . Zasshi , 51 ( 6 ) , p . 380 (not seen)

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Eurasian Jay ssp. Garrulus japonicus shimoizumii Momiyama, 1939 NCR [JS Garrulus glandarius hiugaensis]
Dr Jukichi Shimoizumi (DNF) was a Japanese zoologist who was President, Tsuru Bunka University, and Professor Emeritus, Tokyo University of Education. He introduced the concept of 'conservation education', especially into teacher training, based on ecology and sensibility to nature.

Dr Jukichi Shimoizumi (fl. 1939) Japanese zoologist (syn. Garrulus glandarius hiugaensis).

So that should be Jukichi Shimoizumi (1901-1975) according japanese Wikipedia.

Aegithalos caudatus shimokoriyamae Kuroda, 1923 OD here
The type specimen was presented to me by Mr. S. Shimokoriyama of the Seoul Museum,for whom the form is named.

Long-tailed Tit ssp. Aegithalos caudatus shimokoriyamae Kuroda, 1923 NCR [JS Aegithalos caudatus magnus]
Seiichi Shimokoriyama (b.1883) was a Japanese ornithologist, botanist, and collector who went to Korea (1911) and wrote Hand-List of the Birds of Korea (1914).
Seiichi Shimokoriyama (b. 1883) Japanese ornithologist, botanist, collector (syn. Aegithalos caudatus magnus).

Any idea when 下郡山誠一 died? Here
One of the museum’s early staff members, Shimokōriyama Seiichi 下郡山誠一 (b. 1883), cited Itō as the driving force behind the museum’s founding and Komiya as the spearhead of the project.

Apus pacificus shiraii Mishima, 1960 OD Mishima, T. A new race of Apus pacificus breeding in the southern parts of Izu Islands, Japan. Japan Wildlife Bull., 17(2): 201-202. See p. 201. (not seen)

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds
Pacific Swift ssp. Apus pacificus shiraii Mishima, 1960 NCR [JS Apus pacificus pacificus]
Kunihko Shirai (DNF) was a Japanese ornithologist and collector. He was Curator of the Nagasaki Aquarium (1967).
Kunihko Shirai (fl. 1958) Japanese ornithologist, collector (syn. Apus pacificus).

Here

K. Shirai: Penguin exhibit at Nagasaki Aquarium, International Zoo Yearbook, 7(1): 35-36
Shirai, K. (1964). Histological study on the ovipositor of the rose bitterling, Rhodeus ocellatus. Bull. Fac. Fisheries, Hokkaido Univ. 14, 193—197
Shirai , K. 1956. Avian / mammal fauna of Yaku island and the so called Yaku dog . Japan Wildlife Bulletin 15(1): 53-79

So I think his name is in fact SHIRAI, Kaoru . But I might be on the wrong track.

And definitely not the same person as in Squalus shiraii Viana & de Carvalho, 2020 here
This species is named after Dr. Shigeru M. Shirai, Japanese ichthyologist from Tokyo University of Agriculture, for his valuable contributions to Systematics of Squaliformes.

Last edited:
Quick one ...
Apus pacificus shiraii Mishima, 1960 OD Mishima, T. A new race of Apus pacificus breeding in the southern parts of Izu Islands, Japan. Japan Wildlife Bull., 17(2): 201-202. See p. 201. (not seen)

So I think his name is in fact SHIRAI, Kaoru . But I might be on the wrong track.
Martin, I do think you're on the wrong track, this far I think you can drop the "Kaoru Shirai" guy (dealing with Fish and molluscs), and stick with/to Mr. Kunihiko Shirai.

Better to focus on finding the OD ... :rolleyes:

Also, note that "Shirai Kunihiko" is/was mentioned repeatedly in for example in Paul Kreitman's Thesis; FEATHERS, FERTILIZER AND STATES OF NATURE: USES OF ALBATROSSES IN THE U.S.-JAPAN BORDERLANDS (2015), dealing with the outskirts of Japan, incl. Izu Islands (the assumed Type locality), here, see pp. 218, 238, 251 and 269.

In my notes I'll keep him as; Shirai Kunihiko alt. (the reversed) Mr Kunihiko Shirai (note, Kunihiko, versus/not "Kunihko").

If "our guy" truly had anything to do with the "Nagasaki Aquarium" is unknown to me ...

Looks like what might be some kind of mix-up. Or not.

For what it's worth

Björn

PS. Also note that Mr Kunihiko Shirai (here) helped out with some Japanese Fleas (in the early 1960's).

Last edited:
The "not seen" ones are in post-1922 Dobutsugaku Zasshi (動物学雑誌).
These are presumably all for the same person indeed.

The three "not seen" ones, for the sake of completeness:
("折居彪二郎" = Orii Yojiro/Hyojiro.)

Last edited:

FWIW:
I find one "白井邦彦" (Shirai Kunihiko) as the author of a significant number of publications about hunting, including in the 1960s (e.g., see here), who in some second-hand book sites, e.g. here, is given as born in 1922.
This could conceivably be a namesake, however.

These were almost certainly written by "our" guy:
白井邦彦. 1956. 屋久島の野生鳥獣相及び屋久犬. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 15: 53-79.​
白井邦彦. 1958. 八丈島の鳥獣相. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 16: 161-173.​
白井邦彦. 1960. 八丈島の鳥獣相(第2報). 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 197-200.​
(These are notes about the fauna of Japanese islands -- Yakushima for the first one; Hachijō-jima for the two others, this being part of the Izu archipelago -- by someone named Kunihiko Shirai, published in the same outlet as the OD. I don't find this journal online either, unfortunately. The refs are taken from a publication in 鳥 / Tōri.)

Martin, I do think you're on the wrong track, this far I think you can drop the "Kaoru Shirai" guy (dealing with Fish and molluscs), and stick with/to Mr. Kunihiko Shirai.

I agree that "Kunihiko Shirai" is most likely correct.

Last edited:
Garrulus japonicus shimoizumii Momiyama , 1939 , Dôbutsu . Zasshi , 51 ( 6 ) , p . 380 (not seen)

Through the kindness of Professor J. SHIMOIZUMI of the Simoda Marine Biological Station, Tokyo University of Literature and Science, Simoda-mati, Sizuoka prefecture, for who helped to obtain this new race.

So that should be Jukichi Shimoizumi (1901-1975) according japanese Wikipedia.

Yes, clearly him.

Last edited:
Ficedula owstoni shonis (Kuroda Sr, 1923) OD here
Named in honour of Mr. Kei Sho of Okinawa, a younger brother of Marquis Sho and a member of the Ornithological Society of Japan.

Narcissus Flycatcher ssp. Zanthopygia narcissina shonis Kuroda, 1923 NCR [JS Ficedula narcissina owstoni]
Kei Sho of Okinawa (1889–1922) was a younger brother of Marquis Sho and a member of the Ornithological Society of Japan.

Kei Shō (1889-?1922) Japanese ornithologist, brother of Marquis Shō (subsp. Ficedula owstoni).

So he must be the brother of Shō Shō (1888-1923). This here his father. If Kei Shō died 1922 or not may need to be clarified.

Last edited:
• Apus pacificus shiraii T. [Toji] MISHIMA 1960 (OD still unseen), earlier dealt with in posts; #70, 71 and 73

I think (!?) this might/could be our guy (on p.6); "白井邦彦" (Kunihiko Shirai) , still alive in 2005 (talking about Storks, etc.), at this point living in Ogusa, Chiba, SE of Tokyo.

【白井さんの略歴】白井邦彦さんは大草町に生まれ育ち、 昭和 18 年に京大動物学科を卒え(専攻は動物群集生態 学)、動物学教室研究員を経て、昭和 22 年に農林省へ出 向し、稀少鳥獣や有害鳥獣のセンサスと保護と駆除の研 究に従事。役職は鳥獣研究室長で、昭和 59 年に退官。日 本鳥学会永年会員、山階鳥研賛助員で、現在なお、狩猟 者講習会(県環境部)、猟銃の実技講習会(県警本部) の講師等を務める。
Google translate:
[Biography of Mr. Shirai] Mr. Kunihiko Shirai was born and raised in Ogusa-cho, graduated from the Department of Zoology, Kyoto University in 1943 (major in animal community ecology), and after working as a researcher in the zoology class, moved to the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry in 1947. Engaged in research on the census, protection and extermination of rare birds and beasts and harmful birds and beasts. His position is the director of the Bird and Beast Laboratory, and he retired in 1984. He is a long-time member of the Ornithological Society of Japan and a supporter of the Yamashina Institute for Ornithology, and is still a lecturer at the hunter training course (prefectural environment department) and the hunting gun practical training course (prefectural police headquarters).

Could very well match a guy born in "1922", as found/told/suggested by Laurent (in post #73).

If he's still around, still going, now celebrating his centenary, is unknown to me.

Björn

PS. And, if I understand it all correct (helped only by Google translate), it looks like this guy (at least this name) was somehow involved in the 50th Anniversary of the Ornithological Society of Japan (in 1962) together with a (F.?) Mishima (the Author of the OD?). See here, page 124 (all in Japanese).

Either way, take it all for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:
• Apus pacificus shiraii T. [Toji] MISHIMA 1960 (OD still unseen), earlier dealt with in posts; #70, 71 and 73

[...]
Continuation ...

Also compare with the many, many Birds collected by either; "Shirai, K.", or "Shirai, S." alt. "Shirai, T.", in or around Chiba (or Tokyo), in Catalogue of T. Mishima's Collection – Bird Skins, by N. Kawaji, et al. (2002):
Abstract
Five thousand and ninety bird skins were donated to Forestry and Forest Research Institute by Toji Mishima. They were collected between 1884 and 2001, and many rare and endangered species are included. We listed the bird skins here in order to promote the scientific surveys using these specimens. All the specimens are listed in groups of species.

[= here ]
Note that all the specimens of Apus pacificus, are listed on p.272, incl. two collected in mid-July 1958, by "Shirai, K".

To me, it looks like there's been quite a few guys by the surname Shirai, active in Japanese ornithology, in about the same Era.

Thus, finding the OD (to see/verify/confirm whatever is told in it) seems more and more crucial.

/B

These were almost certainly written by "our" guy:
白井邦彦. 1958. 八丈島の鳥獣相. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 16: 161-173.​
白井邦彦. 1960. 八丈島の鳥獣相(第2報). 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 197-200.​

(These are notes about the fauna of Japanese islands -- Yakushima for the first one; Hachijō-jima for the two others, this being part of the Izu archipelago -- by someone named Kunihiko Shirai, published in the same outlet as the OD. I don't find this journal online either, unfortunately. The refs are taken from a publication in 鳥 / Tōri.)

Searching for 白井 and 鳥獣集報 actually yields more:

白井邦彦. 1958 : 八丈島の鳥獣相. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 16: 161-173.​
白井邦彦. 1959 : 三宅島の鳥獣類(第一報). 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 91-106.​
白井邦彦. 1960 : 北伊豆諸島の鳥類相. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 179-191.​
白井邦彦. 1960 : 三宅島の鳥獣類(第2報). 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 193-196.​
白井邦彦. 1960 : 八丈島の鳥獣相(第2報). 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 197-200.​
白井邦彦. 1961 : 青ケ島の鳥類相. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 197-200.​
白井邦彦. 1961 : 御蔵島の鳥類相. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 18: 109-118.​
白井邦彦. 1961 : 八丈小島(伊豆七島)の鳥類相. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 18: 119-124.​
白井邦彦. 1961 : 青ケ島の島類相. 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 18: 125-132.​

To me, it looks like there's been quite a few guys by the surname Shirai, active in Japanese ornithology, in about the same Era.

Thus, finding the OD (to see/verify/confirm whatever is told in it) seems more and more crucial.

I agree that it would be better to see the OD.
Yet, as said OD:
三島冬嗣 [Mishima, Toji]. 1960. [A new race of Apus pacificus breeding in the southern parts of Izu Islands, Japan.] 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 201-202.​
appears to follow directly Kunihiko Shirai's paper:
白井邦彦 [Shirai, Kunihiko]. 1960. 八丈島の鳥獣相(第2報). [Birds and animals of Hachijō-jima (2nd report).] 鳥獣集報 (Japan Wildlife Bulletin), 17: 197-200.​
...and given that Hachijō-jima is part of "the southern parts of Izu Islands, Japan", I'd actually be quite amazed if someone else than 白井邦彦 [Shirai, Kunihiko] ended up being the dedicatee.

Could very well match a guy born in "1922", as found/told/suggested by Laurent (in post #73).

Yes, indeed -- and being "still a lecturer at the hunter training course" would also match the subject of the publications of the 1922-born guy in question.

• Apus pacificus shiraii MISHIMA 1960 (OD remains unseen)

I agree Laurent, thus, I don't think it's too presumptuous to say (even without the OD) that we now have a pretty strong chain of circumstantial evidence, all pointing at the dedicatee being Mr Kunihiko Shirai (born 1922), Japanese ornithologist, etc., etc., ...

And thanks for matching the different pieces together (far better than I managed) (y)

Björn

PS. Though, of course, a peek on the OD itself would still be of interest.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back