• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Skull & bones Mallorca (1 Viewer)

Brian Bullough

DIGIDOPE
I have puzzled over these bones found in S'Albufera Mallorca last year anyone any ideas, I was thinking Pine Marten.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_9927.JPG
    IMG_9927.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_9928.JPG
    IMG_9928.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 106
Cheers John, I thought the top teeth where canine ,which is why I thought Pine Marten . I never thought of Coypu, I should have put in a reference to size in the photo from memory about 60mm

Brian
Edit I checked out that site in the link what a fantastic resource , so professional I thought it was a museum or something , till I read the authors words only 14 yrs old how incredible !!!!

Last edited:
Cheers John, I thought the top teeth where canine ,which is why I thought Pine Marten . I never thought of Coypu, I should have put in a reference to size in the photo from memory about 60mm

Brian
Edit I checked out that site in the link what a fantastic resource , so professional I thought it was a museum or something , till I read the authors words only 14 yrs old how incredible !!!!

I think I've seen him on (insert season)watch at some point. A youngster with a proper scientific future.

John

Anything with incisors like that in the lower jaw is likely to be a rodent.
And don't forget the huge diastema, lack of canines, and the closely aligned, "rectangular" looking molars.

Though theoretically it's possible that the coypu was killed by a Pine Marten...

Last edited:
Hi Brian
Some interesting comments.
However, as far as I am aware, the Coypu has never been recorded in s'Albufera or in the Balearic Islands.
I think the shape of the skull and the pelvic bones show that it is a Brown rat, which does occur in s'Albufera - along with the Black rat.
Best wishes
Martin

Hi Brian
Some interesting comments.
However, as far as I am aware, the Coypu has never been recorded in s'Albufera or in the Balearic Islands.
I think the shape of the skull and the pelvic bones show that it is a Brown rat, which does occur in s'Albufera - along with the Black rat.
Best wishes
Martin

Having looked how small 6cm is, I concur - underlines the importance of scale in such cases.... oops.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back