• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sicilian Bird Guides. (1 Viewer)

Max Levy

Dear all,

I'm going to Sicily next week, and am interested in doing a day's guided birding. Does anyone know of any bird guides? I've emailed Andrea Corso, but am yet to receive a reply.
Failing this, does anyone have any information on finding the Rock Partridge on Mt. Etna?

Thanks.

Hi Max,

Not sure how much use this is to you, but I've seen Rock Partridge fairly easily at Zingaro NP at the other end of the island. Have a nice trip, it's a lovely island.

N

Hi, I hope it's ok to bump an old thread.

I'm going to Sicily the last week of October. It's more of a family holiday, but I plan to bird a few days as well. We'll be based near Marsala (west coast). I've looked around a bit on the net, but mostly found information about the SE. Within reach from Marsala, there seem to be some salt pans, which are worth visiting. I'm also interested in Lo Zingaro (which is mentioned above and the reason I bumped this thread). I can't seem to find any more detailed information on how to visit the reserve. Any particular spots that are good to look for the partridges etc?

Feel free to let me know if there are more sites than what I mentioned above that can be done from Marsala.

Thanks in advance.

Zingaro NP is lovely and very quiet out of season - the entrance is at a tiny village called Scopello (use Goole Maps) where you can park, pay and get a printout map of the reserve. There's a good loop walk along the coast and back higher up through the hills (that's where I saw the Rock Partridge). You could do it in half a day and combine it with a visit to the nearby Segesta temple. Don't know about any other birding sites in the west, but the Monte Cofano reserve north of Trapani looks good on the map.
Have a good trip!

N

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back