• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Short-eared Owl photography (1 Viewer)

flible

Hello all,
Every year around this time or a little later I see thousands of pictures flooding in of Short-eared Owls. Almost all of them are amazing and this year I was hoping to do this myself (photograph short-eared owls that is), but unfortunately I have no idea other than Staines Moor where I can photograph them. I live in Hertfordshire so I am restricted to suffolk, essex, kent, surrey or berkshire and all the home counties. Thats as far as my parents would be willing to take me. Anyway any sites which you know of would be much appreciated thanks.
Ephraim

Ephraim,

As you are almost certainly aware, coastal and esturine sites are best for Long-eared Owls in winter. I would have thought that Rainham Marshes would be as close and easy a spot as any, as it is just off the M25. The RSPB have quite a set up there and you can ring up first and find out whether any birds are present, before setting out.

Best of luck.

Dave

I'm sure Dave was referring to SEO actually, esp speaking of coastal and estuarine sites..

As I'm sure you know, a variety of factors affect the numbers of SEO every winter in The UK, what I do is check the county bird sites to see what's reported, a variety of blogs from people at sites relatively close, or go onto birdguides website and click on SEO under species list... you can then see recent photos of this species that have been posted which will give you an idea of where the "photographical" birds are....

Good luck, my fav bird, always on my wishlist...!!

Last year we had loads on my local reserve (RSPB Saltholme )both LE and SEO, however this year there has been only a couple of sightings on the whole North Tees Marshes, this time last year you were almost guaranteed to see both birds on any given day. We do have a continental influx each winter but do not know what has happend this year.

I'm sure Dave was referring to SEO actually, esp speaking of coastal and estuarine sites..

Correct. I guess I had been thinking at the time that SEO were a lot easier to find than LEO and dashed off a note without checking the content. Sorry.

There are at least a dozen good locations along the Essex and Suffolk coast. The 3 reasons I suggested Rainham Marshes were:

1. It often has SEOs
2. It is an easy 30-60 minute drive depending where in Herts you live
3. If you call and find out that SEO are present there is a reduced risk of an fruitlessjourney. At a site like Old Hall you may arrive to be told that birds were present yesterday but had not been seen since.

Dave

Hi thanks to all for the suggestions I will definitely take a trip to Rainham marshes later in the year but do you know how open the paths are at Rainham? I would be very interested in that because some people who I have asked about Rainham have said that it is very restricted.

Leave the M25 at junction 13 and join the A30 (Staines By-Pass) heading east. Travel along here for less than a mile (about 0.8 miles) and travel over a solid concrete bridge over the River Colne. Very soon after the bridge, park in the designated parking area and walk back on yourself towards the bridge. On the near side of the bridge, hop over the barrier and along the path. You come out overlooking what's known as Staines Moor/Levels, and Short-eared Owls are seen there. (Berkshire)

APOLOGIES, JUST READ THAT YOU KNOW ABOUT STAINES MOOR.

In previous years Heartwood forest nr sandridge has been breen good for SE Owls though with the tree growth this year may be tricky for photos and also therfield heath in previous years often SE owls and barn owls have been reported especially in the grey farm area but not sure what the photography options are like for this site

If you can get to Essex then I recommend Thurrock Thameside Nature Park:
http://www.essexwt.org.uk/reserves/thurrock-thameside

I don't know how many they have this winter but certainly in January this year there were at least 2 pairs, easily viewable from the paths and possible to park your car on the road up to the visitor centre to wait for them. I had fantastic views when I visited.

Thanks everyone,
I'll definitely take that all into account when I go out and photograph some SEO.
Ephraim

I had stunning close views of shorties at the "white gate" on Wallasea back in Feb, among other things. Could be worth a shot, and along with loads of corn bunts you'll have a good chance of hen harrier, peregrine, merlin, etc.

But, if you end up at Rainham, bear in mind that the 25% of the site that the reserve paths give you access to is the 25% that's least likely to hold SEOs. I've only ever seen them at the eastern end distantly, and briefly. Frustratingly, the shorties are often up on the silt lagoons, to which there's no general access. Try rather the marshes between the west end of the silts and Ferry Lane, from various roadside stops along Ferry Lane itself and the path across the marsh from the A13 Rainham village junction and the track to the Stone Barges. They can come quite close to the road here. It's also worth trying from the Barges themselves (on the tip just inland), and all along Coldharbour Lane, from the security checkpoint and the "serin mound" carpark, though stopping on the road is frowned upon. From the serin mound itself you get good views, but owls are often distant. Sometimes they use the rough field nearest the carpark there, just in from the seawall. If you're stopped at the checkpoint, just say you're off to the RSPB carpark and they'll let you through.

That said, I'm not sure if there have been reports of SEO at Rainham yet this year. Good luck, if you go - hope this helps.

You mentioned Kent, so im going to suggest Harty Ferry Road/Viewpoint on the Isle of Sheppey which is usually good at this time of year for all things Raptor. You have Elmley Marshes RSPB and The Swale Nature reserve for other good birding sites all close by. It can vary just how good from year to year it is and must confess ive not been this winter yet but ive never not seen SEO's down there and often get Barn Owl too. Elmley used to have a resident LEO but not heard about that for a while....?
Anyone who's been this year who can perhaps confirm if this is still a good area....?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back