• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shieldbugs. (1 Viewer)

colonelboris said:
And the last one...
Another nymph, of one of the previous types(?).
There were others, but I couldn't get in the brambles to photograph them.
Any ideas on ID?

Thanks,

Tony
Hi Tony, I think you'll find that all those nymphs are of Dock Buck; they are just different instars. Most species change shape, markings and colour at each nymphal stage. Bit of a nightmare I know and few [if any] guides show all of them.
Cheers,
Steve.

Wow, that's pretty varied. And there was me thinking I'd whacked a fair number of the species...
Thanks!
I wonder if it's possible at some point to compile a database of photos from here showing all the different species and their stages?

colonelboris said:
Wow, that's pretty varied. And there was me thinking I'd whacked a fair number of the species...
Thanks!
I wonder if it's possible at some point to compile a database of photos from here showing all the different species and their stages?

Hello Boris.lol.

The nymphs are in various instars and adults all appear to be Dock Bugs.
There's a plethora of various species in this sticky thread. It's about as good as you will get unless you can persuade a moderator to open up a section for Shieldbug pictures in the photo gallery. Dock Bugs by the way aren't Shieldbugs.

Harry

colonelboris said:
Thanks!
Sorry to disappoint you Tony.
I'm not sure if a photo database is possible with this forum setup. Perhaps some of the more technical bods in this sticky can say?
Cheers,
Steve.

harry eales said:
Hello Boris.lol.

The nymphs are in various instars and adults all appear to be Dock Bugs.
There's a plethora of various species in this sticky thread. It's about as good as you will get unless you can persuade a moderator to open up a section for Shieldbug pictures in the photo gallery. Dock Bugs by the way aren't Shieldbugs.

Harry

Ah, I'm still very new to this...
I guess they're related?

Tony

This nymph was seen in my garden on 5th Aug. I haven't got far in getting an ID.
It was in a birch tree and it was feeding on a Birch Shieldbug nymph. This can be seen in the 2nd picture, where the predator is hiding behind a birch bud, but the overexposed birch shieldbug nymph is in view.
With my poking it dropped its prey and I got some more photos. It was about 3-4mm long.

There are as far as I know only 4 known predatory shieldbugs in British Isles and this one doesn't seem to fit any of them.

It's not Picromeris bidens as it doesn't have black and yellow legs and antennae

It doesn't have a yellow band across the antennae which I think Troilus luridus should have.

I'm very out of habitat for Rhacognathus punctatus. (Lowland near coast garden)

I think it is too big, wrong colour and the fact it was up a tree rules out Zicrona caerulea

Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCN5369#001.jpg
    DSCN5369#001.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCN5363#002.jpg
    DSCN5363#002.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN5373#002.jpg
    DSCN5373#002.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSCN5375#002.jpg
    DSCN5375#002.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 90
Any offers on this creature, it looks to me as if it might be a squash bug.

steve covey said:
Sorry to disappoint you Tony.
I'm not sure if a photo database is possible with this forum setup. Cheers,
Steve.

Minor advert:
www.eimagesite.net has a growing gallery of shield (114 images including non-uk examples) and squash/leather bugs, contributions are always welcome.

Hugh

Attachments

• 56E03D1543.jpg
    56E03D1543.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 109
Angus T said:
This nymph was seen in my garden on 5th Aug. I haven't got far in getting an ID.
It was in a birch tree and it was feeding on a Birch Shieldbug nymph. This can be seen in the 2nd picture, where the predator is hiding behind a birch bud, but the overexposed birch shieldbug nymph is in view.
With my poking it dropped its prey and I got some more photos. It was about 3-4mm long.

There are as far as I know only 4 known predatory shieldbugs in British Isles and this one doesn't seem to fit any of them.

It's not Picromeris bidens as it doesn't have black and yellow legs and antennae

It doesn't have a yellow band across the antennae which I think Troilus luridus should have.

Any ideas?
It looks very like Arma custos to me (non native).
Hugh

Angus T said:

I'm very out of habitat for Rhacognathus punctatus. (Lowland near coast garden)

I think it is too big, wrong colour and the fact it was up a tree rules out Zicrona caerulea

Any ideas?

Hello Angus,
I believe it is T.luridus , an early instar nymph (no wing buds showing) I have taken the liberty of enlarging and enhancing one of your pictures. If you look at the right hand antennae you will see what looks to be possibly a yellow line. The rest of the nymph looks correct for luridus.

Harry

Attachments

• Shieldbug Nymph. Angus.-1.psd.jpg
    Shieldbug Nymph. Angus.-1.psd.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 92
harry eales said:
Hello Angus,
The rest of the nymph looks correct for luridus.

Harry
Well there wasn't really any other option. I couldn't find any pictures showing such an early instar, so thanks for confirming that the rest looks correct.

However in view of Hugh's reply, I'll do a little digging about Arma custos and see. Thanks to both of you.

I have adult Picromeris bidens in garden as well.

Angus T said:
I have adult Picromeris bidens in garden as well.

Bejasus, some folks have all the luck. I've looked for it in my local counties and never seen it at all. Last recorded hereabouts in the 1850's. Whats that sayting about the luck of the Irish?

Harry

harry eales said:
Bejasus, some folks have all the luck. I've looked for it in my local counties and never seen it at all. Last recorded hereabouts in the 1850's. Whats that sayting about the luck of the Irish?

Harry
I've no idea of distribution or abundance of any of these species.

I'll put a photo up here next week.

Sorry Harry

Angus T said:
Ok much sooner than I mentioned...

Found 2 on my carrots on 7th Aug.

This is Picromerus bidens

Attachments

• Picromerus bidens.jpg
    Picromerus bidens.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 94
Angus T said:
I've no idea of distribution or abundance of any of these species.

Sorry Harry

Knowledge of the distribution of the 'Bug' species is way behind many insect orders, so few people have any interest in them at all. Still, things are slowly improving, but interest in them (the Shieldbugs) is not being helped by people changing the common names (where they exist) for no apparent good reason.

Nice picture Angus, maybe one day I'll get lucky.

Harry

Is this a Shieldbug and if so, which one? If not any ideas what it is?

John

Attachments

• DSCN8337.jpg
    DSCN8337.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN8339.jpg
    DSCN8339.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN8340.jpg
    DSCN8340.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 87
Reader said:
Is this a Shieldbug and if so, which one? If not any ideas what it is?

John
My guess is nymph of Eysarcoris fabricii, but it might be Palomena prasina - I am assuming the nymph's antenna colour roughly matches that of adult and so E. fabricii not P prasina. Over to you Harry.

Hugh

Last edited:
138mph said:
My guess is nymph of Eysarcoris fabricii, but it might be Palomena prasina - I am assuming the nymph's antenna colour roughly matches that of adult and so E. fabricii not P prasina. Over to you Harry.

Hugh

Hi Hugh

Thanks for that. I typed in your suggestions in Google and I am now sure that it is the latter of your suggestions (Palomena prasina), as shown on this link.
http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/insects/pentatomidae.htm

John

harry eales said:
John I've already posted to the other thread, but it is The Green Shieldbug nymph. P.prasina. One I'm still looking for in my area.

Harry

Hi Harry

Thanks for the confirmation Harry.

I rarely post to the Shieldbug thread because I very rarely get one, and those that I do are either Green or Forest which are probably the more numerous and common of the Shieldbugs.

Having said that it is a bit of a coup if I can pull one over you. :'D I can't believe I have something that you haven't. I just wonder how many you have had more than me. If it is more than two then you have stuffed me.:'D

John

With the red abdomen and sholders I believe this is Hawthorn Shield Bug despite the red shield.

Attachments

• P1030747.jpg
    P1030747.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 112
  • P1030754.jpg
    P1030754.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back