• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scope and Tripod Carriers (1 Viewer)

DSpeight

Buzzard Enthusiast
Has anyone any experience of these? I had a week in Norfolk last month, and to my shame, left the scope and tripod at home because I find them too heavy to carry any distance. A walk around Cley would have been out of the question. Inevitably, I needed the scope all the time...

"The Mule" advertised by Cley Spy seems the ideal solution, where the carrier holds the tripod/scope combination together with the legs retracted, and stays in place when the legs are extended.

Has anyone used one?

Thanks

David S

DSpeight said:
Has anyone any experience of these? I had a week in Norfolk last month, and to my shame, left the scope and tripod at home because I find them too heavy to carry any distance. A walk around Cley would have been out of the question. Inevitably, I needed the scope all the time...

"The Mule" advertised by Cley Spy seems the ideal solution, where the carrier holds the tripod/scope combination together with the legs retracted, and stays in place when the legs are extended.

Has anyone used one?

Thanks

David S
Hi David, I purchased the above from Cley Spy a few years ago, althought initially I found it very benificial for carrying long distances the inconvience of having to take it off your back and "set it up" seemed time consuming.
Carrying the scope with the tripod attached over the shoulder ( althought not recommended ) seems to be quicker in the field, especially if digiscoping, but I would recommend you try one and make your own opinion, hope this helps ;)

Hi Dave,

I have one of the 'mules' from CleySpy and find it most comfortable for carrying a scope. I have a Kowa 823 and Manfrotto tripod, the only thing I found was as I do digiscoping carrying my camera kit. A trawl around some shops, (Wilkinsons I think) and I found a bag that would hang between the legs of the tripod. A ½ hour with a sewing machine to attach some strong webbing loops to the mule and I now have a real handy camera bag. This also helps with the stability of the tripod when taking photos. The bag cost approx £7, I know that CleySpy are looking at a Mk 2 version with a storage bag but it is going to be cosiderably more than the £7 I paid for the add-on bag!

I've included some photos of what I did.

Pete :~} :eat:

Attachments

• Mule1.jpg
    Mule1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 803
  • Mule2.jpg
    Mule2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 626
  • Mule3.jpg
    Mule3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 484
I use a padded shoulder strap by Manfrotto ($49.95 from B&H Photo). It attaches to one leg of the tripod while securing the other legs by means of 2 velcro straps. It is worn slung diagonally over the shoulder. You do not need to remove the strap from the tripod when setting up-just pull the 2 velcro straps. I leave my scope (a rather heavy Nikon Sky & Earth) attached to the tripod (a rather heavy Manfrotto 3021BN Pro) when hiking and haven't had any problems yet.

David

I've got a Mule from CleySpy and find it very useful for spreading the load. In use, you have to remember to close your tripod up, otherwise the third leg sticks out quite a bit.

I suffer from arthritis so I sometimes have trouble getting it on and off but it's no major problem.

Peter

DSpeight said:

I'd recommend taking your tripod and scope into the shop and trying one for yourself.

You certainly see a lot of them about these days, I know a number of people who use them and are very happy with them. I don't use one as I carry my camera kit on my back, I carry the tripod and scope over my shoulder.

The other thing to consider would be changing to a smaller, lighter scope and tripod set up. If what you have is to heavy to take out on a days birding then it's not much use to you - there are some excellent light weight options out there.

Hi,
I got a Mule for my Birthday and it's one of the best prezzies I have had. I have walked several miles at a time and it was no worse than carrying a rucksac over the same distance. It's certainly less tiring than carrying your scope and tripod off one shoulder.
There is a zip pocket in the back which is ideal for a field guide.
One point to bear in mind is that in the Winter you may want to carry extra clothing, flask etc and a rucksac is not possible

Steve

Thanks to you all for your advice. I can't change the Leica/Manfrotto combo for sentimental reasons, and I think that the Mule or Scopac seems to be the best answer. My problem is sciatica with spinal problems, so I reckon if I can get the weight centralised, things should be easier. At present, the short strap provided with the Manfrotto is useless. I can carry the kit assembled and extended over my shoulder but that's not a long distance solution.

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again

David S

I use a Scopac - excellent investment. Certainly makes carrying your gear far less stressful. It spreads the load very effectively.

Dave

My shoulder is knackered and I seriously need one of these. Bit pricey, though, and the little bag thingy which would be very very useful is extra still.

Are the Scopac and the Mule still the latest word in this type of product? Is there anything to add to the above one year on? How much does the Scopac bag hold? I'd quite like to get scope, tripod, sarnies, flask, field guide on me back in one easy package.

EDIT: I see Cley Spy now has a "MulePack" integrated field bag with storage compartments included in a total cost of £59. http://www.cleyspy.co.uk/item.do?item=567 Has anyone tried this and can anyone comment on how it compares with the Scopac?

Thanks,
Graham

Last edited:
normjackson said:
How have you been carrying scope and tripod up till now?

Kind of wedged over right shoulder with loose support by holding tripod legs in front until shoulder screams out in pain. Was covering up to fifteen miles in a long day, now down to three before agony strikes.

bitterntwisted said:
Kind of wedged over right shoulder with loose support by holding tripod legs in front until shoulder screams out in pain. Was covering up to fifteen miles in a long day, now down to three before agony strikes.

Ouch |:x|
Here's other main thread on this topic in the spotting scopes tripod forum (mistakenly thought thread above linked to it):
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=38833

I recall in one of these threads someone noted the condition of their shoulder did improve after using a better carrying device for a while. Hope it works for you.
You could try having a bath then rubbing yourself all over with capsolin (if you can still find some). It won't cure your shoulder pain but it'd sure as hell take your mind off it for a while :eek!:

Many thanks for the links, Norm. I'm leaning towards the mule, especially as it seems to have been improved to address some of the issues raised in the threads. Some people have been very resourceful converting other bags and straps etc. but I'm not sure I have the skill and patience to create my own.

Thanks again,
Graham

I have the Mule. I haven't compared it with the Scopac but the bag is fine for keeping a Collins for when needed, a flask or bottle and other odds and ends.

I find it it very straightforward to extend or collapse the front two legs while wearing it, it's then a piece of cake to slip out of it (or in) and take care of the last one.

If it isn't obvious (my wife had to point it out to me!), hooking your thumbs into the loops in the shoulder straps stops any annoying wobble when walking with a heavy set-up.

While having no experience of the Scopac, I'd certainly recommend the concept...

quango27 said:
I have the Mule. I haven't compared it with the Scopac but the bag is fine for keeping a Collins for when needed, a flask or bottle and other odds and ends.

I find it it very straightforward to extend or collapse the front two legs while wearing it, it's then a piece of cake to slip out of it (or in) and take care of the last one.

If it isn't obvious (my wife had to point it out to me!), hooking your thumbs into the loops in the shoulder straps stops any annoying wobble when walking with a heavy set-up.

While having no experience of the Scopac, I'd certainly recommend the concept...
i have a viking / r s p b carrier and i would not be without it, this has a waist strap as well as shoulder straps. do the mules not have waist straps ? .

stuart C smith said:
i have a viking / r s p b carrier and i would not be without it, this has a waist strap as well as shoulder straps. do the mules not have waist straps ? .

The Mulepack has a chest strap, as does the Scopac.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back