• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saunders tern in Qatar (1 Viewer)

mjgrunwell

This is my fourth winter in the Gulf and I am with great trepidation trying to separate little from Saunders in winter plumage.

In summer, in the field, the extra black in the primaries of Saunders is very striking however I have not managed to get close enough to get a picture in which I can clearly count the dark primaries.

Last week during strong wings a few terns were fishing close to the quay at Al Khor harbour and I got some decent shots.

You can clearly count three black primaries, however the white seems to go a long way back over the eye.

One feature not mentioned in the guides is bill shape, I note that the lower mandible looks slightly stepped giving an overall slightly extended and triangular feel, a bit like the Burj Dubai tower.

I am completely open to any comments if you feel I have got these wrong and they are little terns please say. Small terns and large gulls are just a nightmare here.

Michael

Attachments

• DSC03862.jpg
    DSC03862.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC03867.jpg
    DSC03867.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03863.jpg
    DSC03863.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC03872.jpg
    DSC03872.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC03877.jpg
    DSC03877.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 65
Earlier this week I was also in Al Khobar, and had reasonable views of what I'm fairly sure was Saunders' Tern on a post by the Marina Fish Market Restaurant at the North end of the Corniche (I recommend the bay 500m to the North of that). I agree that separation is really hard, but for me Saunders' Tern has dark legs and an overall darker look than Little Tern. Does that help?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back