• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sacred Ibis in Brittany (1 Viewer)

Dave Parker

Hi, are there still Sacred Ibis in Brittany and area, or have they all been culled? If still present, where would be the best site to try and see them in June?
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Hi, a good part of the population has been culled but they are still pretty easy to see in some areas. I think your best bet to see them is the Golfe du Morbihan, especially in the "Reserve Naturelle de Sené".I often see them at a place named "Cantizac" just at the entrance of the village of Sené but they can be seen pretty much anywhere in the Golfe, feeding in the mudflats or surrounding fields. (I think they are also present at the Lac de Grand-Lieu, close to Nantes but I've never been there so I can't tell for sure...).

Yep, plenty around Lac de Grandlieu, also in the Brière (north of Saint Nazaire) and smaller numbers around Guerande and pretty much any wetland area . . . unfortunately.
There are lots of much better birds to see in the region ;-)

Many thanks to both of you, I have found the sites on my maps, and Lac de Grand-Lieu is probably just too far, so Morbihan it is!
What is the seawatching like around Brittany in the first half of June? In Cornwall things don't normally get underway until July. I'm based fairly centrally, so can make North, West or South coasts if the weather is right, any preferred locations, there seem to be no end of headlands?
Finally, are there any websites for recent sightings in Brittany?
Thanks again.
Dave

I can't speak for western or northern Brittany but the south coast in June is likely to produce some Balearic Shearwaters (numbers vary from year to year). Otherwise it's a bit hit-or-miss I imagine.

For sightings the best site is: http://faune-bretagne.org/

It's worth signing up (they don't ask for too many details) as by logging on you'll have access to information on the actual locations. You can use the same login to access any of the Biolovision sites including for example;

http://www.faune-loire-atlantique.org/

and

http://www.ornitho.fr/index.php?m_id=4 which give an idea of rarities throughout France (the information is fed in through all the regional sites)

Thanks, all signed up and ready.
Another question if I may. Is there a website with timetables and bookings for boat trips to Sept Isles? I can't find one with google, but my french isn't that good.

Try here Dave http://www.armor-navigation.com/en/archipelago-of-7-islands.html

Looks like most of the islands are off-limits because of their breeding seabird colonies though a visit to Ile aux Moines is possible . . . but the timetable suggests this would be a very SHORT visit (maybe you can get an early boat out and a late boat back ? They don't specifically say on their websites). Send them a mail, even in English as they'll surely have someone who can translate and reply.

Hi guys, thanks for all your help, I failed completely in my quest for Sacred Ibis in the Gulf of Morbihan around Sene, despite checking most of the accessible coast around the peninsular. However I still had an excellent days birding, so I'm not grumbling. I was sorely tempted with a trip to Briere, but decided that second day off birding on my own was too much to ask of the family. (Plus the shadow of strikes and fuel shortages hanging over a 3 hour car journey.)
On a brighter note I managed to see plenty of Puffins on Sept Isles. As Eugene noted, landing is not allowed but the boatmen came in close and views were excellent.
Weather just wasn't conducive to seawatching and I got the feeling I was too early in the year anyhow.
My French list creeps over 300, (I also had a Storm Petrel from the Roscoff Ferry) but I must get over in the winter to plug some fairly big and obvious holes!
Thanks again.
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back