• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

22/10/11 RSPB carpark a Common Darter, Middleton Hall silt pool Cetti's singing.
Fisher's mill Chiffchaff, green woodpecker and a kingfisher along the river 2 groups of Fieldfare west (10 & 11) A Red Admiral and Small Tortioseshell seen and a Little Egret on New Reedbed pool.

Regards, John

1/11/11 Middleton Hall RSPB Meadow Red Admiral and Ruby Tiger caterpillar across the track. Water Rail calling from Heronry view pool, Fisher's mill bridge a Chiffchaff and another along the River Fisher's mill meadow.
New Reedbed pool 2 Winter plumaged Dunlin, 2 Little Egret.
Dosthill lake 4 Short-eared Owl, 4 Goldeneye over and 4 Red Headed Goosander North at Dusk.

Regards, John

Last edited:
3/11/11 Fisher's mill 4 Red headed Goosander on the river (Pete Price).
New reedbed pool 2 Dunlin, 49 Lapwing, 2 Little Egret, 17 Golden Plover over heading SE.
Snow goose hybrid with canada's, 400 Starling circling at dusk.
Dosthill Lake 3 Short-eared Owl and a Little egret.

Regards, John

Where / Which one is Dosthill Lake?

I've looked on the RSPB reserve map & it doesn't use names?

Cheers!B :)

Des

Dosthill Lake

Where / Which one is Dosthill Lake?

I've looked on the RSPB reserve map & it doesn't use names?

Cheers!B :)

Des

Hi Des, Dosthill lake is not part of the RSPB complex it is due South of the Eastern part of the RSPB Lakes, a former large gravel excavation which was put up for sale by Hanson's many years ago and purchased by a Water Ski group.
Now known as West Midlands waterski centre, in recent years the lake was split with large bunds not shown on O.S maps.
You can drive into the West Midlands water Ski cente and park but have to pay £3 at the barrier to get out.
Local birders who know the area park on an housing estate with a good walk or nearby pub carpark and walk in.
If you go to the highset point on these bunds this is the best veiw point with excellent views over RSPB Middleton lakes. You cannot arrive at Dosthill lake from the RSPB Reserve until the new bridge is put in.

Regards, John

Last edited:
Dosthill Lake

Hi All

TheShort-eared Owl were showing well this afternoon, the first at 2.05pm flying east over the main lake and dropping down briefly on the Dosthill side. A second bird then joined it soon after, at the far end of the main lake, before they both started quartering the two 'mid-lake' bunds. A third bird appeared to show, as the next hour or so unfolded, but never easy to be certain - as they duck and dive below the different 'bund-horizons' !
Towards the end of that hour or so, two birds were often hunting around the far 'pyramid' bund, as well as the riverside-bund alongside the Tame.
When I left around 3.30, there were no SEOs visible, from the water-ski clubhouse area at least, just a very large black cloud soon followed by a rainstorm !
PS: It was good to meet Max Silverman for the first time ... whose blog will, I am sure, have a photo or two to put this paltry digibinned effort from me to shame. Good to meet you Max - see you around the Midlands patch again soon no doubt.

Cheers

Andy R.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi All

TheShort-eared Owl were showing well this afternoon, the first at 2.05pm flying east over the main lake and dropping down briefly on the Dosthill side. A second bird then joined it soon after, at the far end of the main lake, before they both started quartering the two 'mid-lake' bunds. A third bird appeared to show, as the next hour or so unfolded, but never easy to be certain - as they duck and dive below the different 'bund-horizons' !
Towards the end of that hour or so, two birds were often hunting around the far 'pyramid' bund, as well as the riverside-bund alongside the Tame.
When I left around 3.30, there were no SEOs visible, from the water-ski clubhouse area at least, just a very large black cloud soon followed by a rainstorm !
PS: It was good to meet Max Silverman for the first time ... whose blog will, I am sure, have a photo or two to put this paltry digibinned effort from me to shame. Good to meet you Max - see you around the Midlands patch again soon no doubt.

Cheers

Andy R.
Hi Andy.

It was nice to see you again yesterday and thanks for finding a couple of SEO's for me.Couldn't get any decent shots as they stayed a long way off but great to see.

Here are a couple of shots I got heavily cropped.

Max

Attachments

• IMG_5386a.jpg
    IMG_5386a.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5389a.jpg
    IMG_5389a.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 72
5/11/11 Quick visit this morning. Middleton Hall silt pool, over- head a Raven being mobbed by 2 crows.
Fisher's mill 2 Goosander North, 40 Fieldfare, 9:52 Short-eared Owl seen over large bund Dosthill lake.
New reedbed pool Little Egret, 2 Dunlin with 4 Snipe circling the reserve.

Regards, John

Hi Andy.

It was nice to see you again yesterday and thanks for finding a couple of SEO's for me.Couldn't get any decent shots as they stayed a long way off but great to see.

Here are a couple of shots I got heavily cropped.

Max

Glad you saw them Max ... great birds.

Cheers

Andy R.

Can I ask birders to refrain from walking on the bunds at Dosthill. This is causing disturbance to the owls. They can be viewed at close range from the back of Fisher's Mill Pit looking across the river. Many Thanks.

12/11/11 Middleton Hall Heronry View pool Water Rail calling, silt pool Cetti's singing.
Fisher's mill 2 Water Rail calling. New reedbed pool Male Stonechat on the southern shore reeded spit. 80 Golden Plover got up and circled widely also 120 Lapwing, 3 Dunlin seen.
5 Ad Whooper Swan over high to the SW at 10:10 followed at 10:20 by 2 Ad and 3 juv Bewick's swan to the SW over Middleton Hall.

Regards, John

14/11/11 Middleton Hall Heronry view pool Water Rail sqealing. Cetti's in reeds by Fisher's mill bridge, also fm 3 Goosander on the river.
New reedbed pool 9 Dunlin and 150 Lapwing.
Dosthill lake Short-eared Owl.
Geoff Williams said earlier a birder reported Marsh Harrier.

Regards, John

Last edited:
17/11/11 Fisher's mill Little Egret. Newreedbed pool up to 110 Golden Plover circling in the area Paul Hyde also Paul saw a Green Sand. Present 3 Dunlin and 89 Lapwing which were flushed by a stooping Peregrine.
Dosthill lake no show with Short-eared Owls, 9 Goosander North at dusk.

Regards, John

22/11/11 Fisher's mill Little Egret, Redshank, Chiffchaff.
New reedbed pool Geoff Williams 4 Dunlin, 109 Golden Plover Karl Sargent, later 200 Lapwing with a small number of Golden Plover. Also Little Egret, Karl hearing a Green Sand earlier, 211 Fieldfare N-S.
KWP Richard's meadow dusk 153 Jackdaw and 35 Rook E-W heading for the Middleton Hall corvid roost. Barn Owl quartered Richard's meadow.
5 p.m 2 Winter moth in the RSPB Car park.

Regards, John

RSPB Middleton lakes

22/11/11 Fisher's mill Little Egret, Redshank, Chiffchaff.
New reedbed pool Geoff Williams 4 Dunlin, 109 Golden Plover Karl Sargent, later 200 Lapwing with a small number of Golden Plover. Also Little Egret, Karl hearing a Green Sand earlier, 211 Fieldfare N-S.
KWP Richard's meadow dusk 153 Jackdaw and 35 Rook E-W heading for the Middleton Hall corvid roost. Barn Owl quartered Richard's meadow.
5 p.m 2 Winter moth in the RSPB Car park.

Regards, John

Also yesterday afternoon, Karl Sargent on leaving the reserve saw a Short-eared Owl quartering the play meadow this is the meadow adjoining the RSPB Carpark.

Regards, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back