• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (1 Viewer)

2/12/13 Middleton Hall at 1 p.m a Mealy redpoll with 2 Lesser Redpoll dropped by the feeders to drink water from the pool edge. (JH, Nick Martin). They joined a group of 15 Redpoll that flew off.
90 Fieldfare by the canal.

Regards, John

Just thought I`d better let folks know that there were 3 motorbike scramblers on the reserve yesterday, taking a break on the side between the river & the lake. They had come in by pushing the metal fencing down by the entrance to the meadow\ walk. I have photos if you need them.
We had a nice walk around the reserve, lot`s of work done since our last visit. How do we get a code for the new hide? We are RSPB members & would like to take advantage of it if possible.

Just thought I`d better let folks know that there were 3 motorbike scramblers on the reserve yesterday, taking a break on the side between the river & the lake. They had come in by pushing the metal fencing down by the entrance to the meadow\ walk. I have photos if you need them.
We had a nice walk around the reserve, lot`s of work done since our last visit. How do we get a code for the new hide? We are RSPB members & would like to take advantage of it if possible.

Motor bikes were a regular problem at one time, but you will still get occasional incidents (Nick Martin wll pick this incident up from here), will send hide code through to your private e-mail Pam.

Regards, John

The code is also freely quoted on the RSPB website:

"If you find the Lookout locked use the code c5678z to open the outer door and then please secure it against the wall. Once you are in please keep the inner door closed. If you are the last one in the hide please do close all windows and doors when you leave."

Dunno what the moaning is about; a roe deer bit my ex missus at Arne RSPB carpark. Not much cheers me up these days but that still raises a smile.
Just being flippant.

In defence of the RSPB, problems will occur on any reserve. We have had the odd problem at Upton Warren. I am also a voluntary warden at a Warks WT reserve and there has been the odd incident. People will take advantage.
However, perception is often different to the reality.

Middleton Hall has the potential to become a truly wonderful reserve and it is to the credit of the RSPB that they have taken on the management of this area of the Tame Valley. I dread to think what would have happened if they hadn't.

19/12/13 Fisher's mill 1 to 2 Great White Egret Geoff Williams.
20/12/13 Bittern at dusk forced along the southern shore of newreedbed pool by a Grey Heron.

Regards, John

Last edited:
8/1/13 Middleton Hall Mill plantation a Redpoll flock 35 with 2 Siskin and 2 Goldfinch were high feeding in an alder not far down the track small groups were breaking off to feed on the RSPB Niger feeder where an Adult Male full summer plumaged Mealy Redpoll was seen, also 3 Reed Buntings around the feeders.

Regards, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back