• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rough- Legged Buzzards (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

How many of you have managed to catch up with this beautiful and enigmatic species this winter with the influx in the UK?

I was working in the Oldham area the weekend they showed very well near Dovestones/Greenfield's but did not they were there until it was too late. Only a few have crossed over into the West side of the UK.

Anyway how have you all been doing with Rough Legged Buzzards? Any idea how many might be out there and how often these influxes occur?

What about birdwatchers in other countries of mainland Europe - where else has there been an influx?

How many of you have managed to catch up with this beautiful and enigmatic species this winter with the influx in the UK?

I was working in the Oldham area the weekend they showed very well near Dovestones/Greenfield's but did not they were there until it was too late. Only a few have crossed over into the West side of the UK.

Anyway how have you all been doing with Rough Legged Buzzards? Any idea how many might be out there and how often these influxes occur?

What about birdwatchers in other countries of mainland Europe - where else has there been an influx?

At least one RL Buzzard is still in the Dovestones area, one was see last Wednesday. Might be worth having a look?

Cheers
Jonathan

If you are keen to get good views the Grindale bird in East Yorkshire is still providing photographers with great opportunities judging from the pix turning up on Flickr.

Judging from RBA messages I guess there must be 20+ still showing across Britain at the moment, which is not bad for late winter, often most go through and disappear after autumn. The spread is good as well with birds down as far as Sussex.

The thing is that from New Year birders tend to gravitate towards known birds so there may well be numbers in the wilder parts of Britain that aren't being found and reported, whereas the ones that are known about will get plenty of attention.

John

Stil been seen on the northern most part of the NY Moors (Sleddale) and the surrounding area with up to 4 been seen at the beginning of winter,2014.

Damian

I was there yesterday for a few hours. No luck at all. Not even a Buzzard to kid myself into a maybe haha. I actually crossed over into West Yorkshire too and nothing there. The Dovestones birds appear to do a circuit from Broomshead area to Dovestones.

At least one RL Buzzard is still in the Dovestones area, one was see last Wednesday. Might be worth having a look?

Cheers
Jonathan

Good point that - I wonder how many could be out there in unwatched areas. Most reports are coming from well known areas. I have been out on our local moors quite a bit but nothing. I would love to get one from my own area but sometimes no matter how hard you try they won't appear. I have seen those photos and yes makes me want to go but time is an issue. If I had a better camera I would drive far but not with a bridge camera.

Does not appear to be a very good influx year - what are the best years?

If you are keen to get good views the Grindale bird in East Yorkshire is still providing photographers with great opportunities judging from the pix turning up on Flickr.

Judging from RBA messages I guess there must be 20+ still showing across Britain at the moment, which is not bad for late winter, often most go through and disappear after autumn. The spread is good as well with birds down as far as Sussex.

The thing is that from New Year birders tend to gravitate towards known birds so there may well be numbers in the wilder parts of Britain that aren't being found and reported, whereas the ones that are known about will get plenty of attention.

John

I saw one on a guided tour at Holkham in Norfolk back in November, then a very distant view of one at Wallasea Island on New Year's Day.

A few weeks ago I was in Bramfield, Hertfordshire for the Hawfinches when my girlfriend and I saw one. We weren't 100% sure initially because our previous views had all been fairly distant and I wasn't able to get a photo before it went out of view, but I made a number of mental notes. Later on we bumped into another birding couple who said they'd seen one on their walk over, and it turned out to be the same place we saw ours.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back