• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ringed Peregrine. (1 Viewer)

charlierocky

Hi, For quite a few years now I have posted on the Ex Beebs section on the topic of a breeding pair of Peregrines which I am fortunate to be able to oberve at my work place. A week or so ago I photographed the Falcon to post a picture in the forum to kick off this years reporting and managed to get a shot which clearly depicts a metal band on the right leg of the bird. Although you cant see it on the emailed picture, on the orginal one I can pick out some of the letters/numbers. Is it possible to trace the origin of this Peregrine with only part of the inscription? Any help would be much appreciated as alot of people would like to know where this Falcon came from.
The markings that I think I can see are HG4.

Attachments

• DSCN9485.JPG
    DSCN9485.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN9484.jpg
    DSCN9484.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 104
cr-birding wouldn't be much use as its for colour ringed birds, but i am not sure you would get an origin from just those few Characters. the last few might have more useful, but might be worth contacting BTO anyway. www.ring.ac is the way to report a ringed bird but that might not be useful with just a partially read ring.

Could this be GH4 rather than HG4 ? As I think most recent ''G'' rings - the size that are placed on Peregrines start with the letter G. I'm not too sure how easy it will be to trace this bird to an individual ring as you'd probably need to get the last two digits too. However you could try the BTO - [email protected] and enquire with them to see whether they can help...

Cheers Kane

Hi Kane, Well I'm going to have to give a doh! as well. I have just checked my photo and you are correct it is GH4 that I suspect I can see. Thank you for replying and spotting my stupid mistake. :t:

Not sure you'll be able to trace this from just GH4... but do keep an eye out for acolour ring as well. A lot of Peregrines (including urban ones) are now sporting these (normally with two digits) so worth a look.

Not sure you'll be able to trace this from just GH4... but do keep an eye out for acolour ring as well. A lot of Peregrines (including urban ones) are now sporting these (normally with two digits) so worth a look.

Not to sure about the G anymore but the H4 looks promising.
I am in the process of tracing a fledgling bird that was rescued from a road way below the nest site 9 years ago. The bird was collected by the RSPCA to be checked over then returned and released the same day. I am pretty sure the RSPCA would have had the bird ringed before releasing again..... Could the Falcon I am watching be that bird?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back