• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rhine Delta area (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
I'll be spending next weekend birding in the delta area of the Netherlands. We have some information about local birding sites but I'd appreciate any hint, tips, links, or recent rarity reports.

Stuart

Sorry Stuart: when I see “Rhine Delta” I think of Austria! (we call it "the Delta")

I think the cold snap in January has emptied the Netherlands... very little in the way of rarities at the moment. Well, our returning Bufflehead is still south of Rotterdam (http://waarneming.nl/waarneming/view/41724991) and of course House Crows are easy in Hoek van Holland.

There are a few Red-breasted Geese around (Wolphaartsdijk, Tholen). Lesser White-fronted Goose is pretty much absent from its usual haunts in the southwest – the largest groups are further north. The usual geese are still around.

The Brouwersdam is usually good for birds, e.g. Purple Sandpiper, Long-tailed Duck and Great Northern Diver are present on the seaside. You'll always find birders at the obvious sluice on the southern side of the dam, but the northern part of the dam is often somewhat overlooked, but still nice. Not too far from here, the "nature development" areas of the Prunje have Spoonbill, Smew and usual wintering birds. The old-fashioned fields just east of Scharendijke are Dark-bellied Brent-Goose territory, but the other forms (rare in the Netherlands) may occur here too (recently Pale-bellieds were in the Prunje and nearby in the Koudekerksche Inlaag). This whole area can do with some exploring – I tend to give it too little time!
The huge Slikken van Flakkee have the usual Rough-legged Buzzard, but you'll need luck and not to be afraid to try some narrow dyke roads.
A nice spot (and rarely visited) spot to end the day is the Dijkwater, where there is (used to be?) a Med Gull roost on the Grevelingen lake.
The Middelplaten in the Veerse Meer (just north of Wolphaartsdijk) are usually full of Golden Plovers: American and Pacific are remote possibilities for the diehard birder.
You can find many of these locations here: http://waarneming.nl/area_lijst.php

Send me a pm if you want an update or more info!

Many thanks X, there's some very useful info there. My ageing Gooders guide to birdwatching in Europe has it as the Rhine Delta so I blame that. It seems odd that the cold snap has emptied the Netherlands, but there has been a corresponding influx to the UK.

Stuart

Well you'll be passing the Bufflehead on the way to Zeeland – it's on my list so it must be wild, hahaha. A pretty bird nonetheless.

House Crow is possible from the ferry, but if not: work your way back to the sea from the station (Hoek van Holland Haven, I've seen them there too) along Koningin Emmaboulevard (seen them there) to the Vispaleis (the traditional location). Look amongst the (annoyingly common) Jackdaws and listen for their call. The open area between the Vispaleis and the beach is also good. If still failing, go to Schelpweg 66 (curiously also known is Duinweg 66 to Dutch birders) which is a nesting site (probably better in May, but you never know).

Talking about Belgium: a Long-legged Buzzard is still present near Doel (home of nuclear power plants – lovely area), which is just over the Dutch border from Zeeland (but you'll need to drive through a toll tunnel or around Antwerp to get there).
On the Dutch side of the border is the large, but inaccessible saltmarsh of "the drowned land of" Saeftinge, which may have Hooded Crow (rare in southern NL nowadays) and should have harriers. I guess the Zitting Cisticolas may all have been wiped out in January... (at least one is surviving at the Breskens migration hotspot). There is a Rough-legged Buzzard near Biervliet, so you could get three buzzards in a day!

Well you'll be passing the Bufflehead on the way to Zeeland – it's on my list so it must be wild, hahaha. A pretty bird nonetheless.

It would be a bit churlish to drive past it. We'll only question its origins if we don't see it.

Maybe the site delta.waarneming.nl can be usefull for you but i think it covers a too small area. E.g. the Rhine area is not included.

Thanks. That site has answered my next question, which was the location of the undoubtedly wild Bufflehead.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back