• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Revalations and the ZR binocular (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chinese ED binos are good. Some not quite as good as the rest, I take it Hawke, but all are way above the 250-350 normal brands. If you do not want to support ZR, try Atlas at Eagle Optics and send them back. They are happy to let you try.

I have nothing more to say about forum members or brands in detail.

Mr Robinson,

I too find your sentiments above to resonate with me. Frank and Steve are experimenters and testers of "what's new" inter alia whose "enthusiasts/user" reports have helped frame several of my purchases (e.g. Swaro 7x42 SLC, ZR ED2 7x36). And as has been pointed out earlier they also were instrumental in getting a small company to listen to the wants of many of us in producing new models aimed at those pleas. :clap:

Whether it be bins, digital cameras, stereo/home theater equipment, horological items, cutlery, or any of numerous other hobby toys, most folks consider it good fortune to find and read reports by the likes of these two. There usually are also technical gurus like EdZ (found both here and on CloudyNights) to add measurements and other goodies made with equipment and knowledge few of us have. But also unfortunately are those who seem to derive satisfaction by stirring the pot on any number of levels. Thin motivations are often proclaimed as justification; but most all are tinged with elements of jealousy. I was appalled when I read CLR's viscous diatribe against gun and hunting optics scribe John Barsness. No one deserves such a vile attack. :eek!:

Anyhow, I'm enjoying my ZRs and am one of those for whom the crescent problem is a non-issue :t:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, over 60, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!

Last edited:
I also don't know anyone here from Adam, but I agree completely with John Robinson. I read Steve's assesment of the Zen-Ray's and it was a contributing factor to me buying a pair. If I had thought that he was wrong, I would have posted my opinion. I now prefer them to my SE's.

Starting a thread to suggest a possible ulterior motive for one person's reviews, but not actually disagreeing with those reviews, is just plain strange. I have no idea what CLRobles' politics are, but if binocular reviews get him this upset, I'm not going to ask him how he thinks Obama is doing.

I also don't know anyone here from Adam, but I agree completely with John Robinson. I read Steve's assesment of the Zen-Ray's and it was a contributing factor to me buying a pair.
I´ve also enjoyed Steve´s assessments on various optics over the years. And I liked his assessment of ZR´s. And I didn´t buy a pair. And he didn´t send around any crew of big guys to smash up my Swaros or my Nikons....;)

Argumentum ad hominem! Astra non mentiuntur, sed astrologi bene mentiuntur de astris...... Vincit omnia veritas |:D|

This is just a simple thanks to those above who have posed some expressions of support. It is appreciated. I never did expect everyone to agree with me.

BF Binoculars is turning into a political forum.
BF Binoculars is turning into a jingoistic forum.
BF Binoculars is turning into a myopic personal attack forum.
BF Binoculars is turning into a social class warfare forum.
BF Binoculars is turning into a Latin forum.

BASTA ES BASTA! Literally and figuratively and every which way in between, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

This type of thread goes nowhere, however much wit & wisdom may be spouted.

Report suspicians to moderators with evidence and let it go at that.

BF Binoculars is turning into a political forum.
BF Binoculars is turning into a jingoistic forum.
BF Binoculars is turning into a myopic personal attack forum.
BF Binoculars is turning into a social class warfare forum.
BF Binoculars is turning into a Latin forum.

BASTA ES BASTA! Literally and figuratively and every which way in between, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

There is even a thread that appears now to be continuing in Klingon B :)

BTW: what is the "ignore" thing? is that a statement of personal intent, or is something in one's forum interface controls?

thanks

Click your own profile, or name, or any member name. On the left is the buddy list..no idea what it does, and at the right top allows you to put a member on your ignore list. You will see a listing for te post, but no actual post for that member.

I have nobody on ignore here, elsewhere.

I find it sad that somebody takes a public forum and uses it to attack both individuals and companies. I have had email contact with Steve C., and he has been very non biased in recommendations. He mentioned ZR, but also Swift, Vortex, Pentax and others. Doubt he works for all of them.

Zen Ray has made an impact on the optics industry, and some find their success scary. I wonder if their name "Zen" and "Ray" may resonate with the older hippie crowd like myself on some subconscious level? I also see them using a technique used by Matthews archery that worked for them. Start with a product that probably isn't any better then anybody elses, get it into a lot of peoples hands, listen to what they want, all the time looking for what other companies are doing. Take what you learn/find and incorporate it into your product, all the while giving the best costumer service possible. When people see a company listening and responding, they will respond in a like way by buying the product and telling others that this is the best product out there.

I personally won't buy a Matthew's bow. Not because it isn't possibly the best, but because I am tired of their bragging about how great they are. I hope Zen Ray doesn't get the big head believing they are better than anybody else, as there are several brands that are basically clones. If they continue to listen and incorporate customer ideas, give good service, and keep prices reasonable, there is no reason they won't be seen as a major optical player in the future.

The argument over "alpha" or not is really mute. If you want to base everything on a companies time in business, or where they are located, ZR certainly falls short. Based on build quality, only time will tell. Based on optical quality, ZR is surely in the top tier. There are many good products out now, and changes for the better occuring almost daily in optics. Do you need to spend $2000 to get top quality, or is it just status you seek. Only you can answer those questions.

Mr. Robles, if you want to contribute positive thoughts, please feel free. if you want to denegrate others-go elsewhere.

I think the Ignore Wife function only comes with hearing aids.

Tero I have hearing aids.;) It doesn't work though.:-O I can ignore her when she says I have enough binoculars and scopes.

What would happen if I put myself on the ignore list? I couldn't read my own posts? :)

Last edited:
I also see them using a technique used by Matthews archery that worked for them.

Come on now...I did not see any 6 page color ads in birdwatcher's digest for Zen Ray. Zen Ray hasn't bought all the top birders to promote their product.......

;) 8-P

Sorry, I could not resist. Now if you want to compare them with Bowtech who started working at the grass roots level with their products well then........

...oh, did I mention that I actually do work for Bowtech?

;)

Very interesting comments by the original poster. Also some very interesting responses, some of which veer off the main point.

FWIW, I agree with the original poster that reviews, or even comments regarding a product that do not constitute a review, must remain as unbiased as conceivably possibly. There are a number of ways that bias can and often does interfere with presentation of facts. It is incumbent upon the reviewer to excercise restraint to remain unbiased. It is not always the case.

edz

Hogwarts! This is BF not CN. Meandering is not only allowed, it's encouraged.

Often a meandering thread ends up in a more interesting place than where it started. Look, I'm actually meandering about meandering!:)

Okay, off rant, back to the OP. Charles has opened a can labeled "Lobbyist Worms" but as to whether or not there are any worms in the can, or whether or not the worms have been paid or perked to lobby support for ZRs, I don't know.

I can understand how such suspicions could arise from witnessing the shocking events that occurred in the financial sector over the past few years.

If "quants" with Ph.D.s and MBAs from Ivy League schools could pander their "toxic assets," why not forum members pandering Chinese bins?

However, my gut tells me that if there was any pandering on the forums about the ZRs by non-employee BF members, it was probably done out of a sense of loyalty to the brand and perhaps to a person representing that brand.

Misguided... maybe, maybe not, but unethical, no.

I have witnessed the frenzy with which the Zen Ray ED2s have hit the Internet.

Even amateur astronomers such as Edz and Holger Merlitz are now reviewing these birding bins!

Regardless of who or what started this frenzy, the fact that these new breed of Chinese open bridge ED bins fill a niche at a time when many of us who desire premium brand optics but who are feeling the recession pinch our wallets too much to afford them is good thing, IMO.

I have my own biases about Chinese products, and if I were wealthier, I could sit on my high horse and condemn those who buy them (and did, but in jest and parody since I'm one of them myself, not currently with optics, but in the cat litter and other items I bought today from my local Chinamart). The greeters even know my name!

But for some, the much anticipated ZR 7x36 ED2 was a disappointment, and despite the jump-on-the-bandwagon movement, both expert and amateur alike have come forth with their criticisms.

So that should help temper whatever bias there might have been in marketing these bins on Internet forums.

I should have a mug that says: World's #1 Nikon Binoculars Fan.

I am biased, I admit it (I am part human, after all :)

I like the "Nikon view" (Nikon's Japanese optics, that is).

So when I said somewhere someplace that the views through the Promaster Infinity Elite, yada yada yada is almost as good as through my LX, perhaps I was filtering that observation through my bias for Japanese optics, and in particular, Nikon Japanese optics.

Anybody who has read my posts knows this, but I did say that it was "almost as good".

And I was also one of the first to step forth and opine that the LX L was not on par with the original LX. I'm not afraid to criticize my own biased brand when the need arises.

I don't own a ZR, Hawke, or Promaster, nor did anybody pay me to say this, but the open bridge Chinese ED bins (based on my experience with the Promaster ED and providing that the views are very similar through the other brands) are probably the best bang for the buck out there today, a phrase that I here-there-to reserved only for porros.

And whatever the reason for their growing popularity, I think you have to look through one yourself to decide if it's hype or real.

As far as what to do with "SC" if the allegations turn out to be true? Tar and feather? The guillotine? Stretching rack?

And what about "CLR" if he has falsely accused "SC" of heinous crimes he did not commit? Sue for slander?

No. We don't need moderators descending upon us and policing the forums and causing members to start looking over their shoulders and watching every word they write 'ere they be declared a "corporate worm" themselves.

I believe that Bob had the correct solution.

Caveat Emptor!

Last edited:
I also don't know anyone here from Adam, but having been a daily reader and sometimes poster here for almost two years, I get a feel for people and I have to say that both Frank and Steve seem very-very credible, even if they are big boosters of the ZR binos. Both of them have owned and or been able to use lots of very high end binos. They both seem pasionate, fair and objective in their post and comments on various optics. Both have mentioned (admitted), to have contact and influence with someone at Zen Ray. I don't personally find it necessary for them to detail the specifics of their relationship with that guy, I can factor in whatever scepticism I want just based on that knowledge. What I think is great is that through Frank and Steve, we now have a manufacturer of high end optics will to go out on a limb and produce that coveted 7x35-ish bin we have all been clamoring for. I wish we had people on here with similar ways to influence folks at Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski.

Frank and Steve also seem to be very excited to report on very good optics by any manufacturer, that seems to break into that "best buy" value area. For those of you who can afford to buy the absolute best without batting an eye over cost, that best buy option may be no big deal, but for many of us who need to maximise our dollars (or Euros), learning how good and what a relative bargain left over stock SE's are, or comparing a 7x42 Meopta to the alphas is very welcome. I think a lot of the heat in this debate is because the bins in question are made in China, which leads to other issues and moral debates, but purely from an optical standpoint, I for one am inclined to believe what Frank and Steve post, just based on the credibility they have demonstrated since I've been here. Also I don't pick up from reading Frank and Steve's post that they are saying a ZR is as good as L,S or Z, just that the optics are close for one fifth the cost.

For me I am at a place in my life where I could afford (barely) one alpha bin, and it was worth it to me to own a Leica with all of it's cachet, lifetime warranty and reputation for strength and durability. That's it though, additional bin purchases need to be best buy, performance to cost calculations, that's where a Meopta or Zen Ray will enter the picture with me.

John

I echo exactly what you have said.

There are many outstanding people on birdforum, like SteveC, Alexis Powell, Edz, Brocknroller, who make this forum starting point for my binocular research. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back