• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Crested Pochard at Paxton Pitts Reserve 28/11/2010 (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi there

Time 11 am - 1.30pm

OH and I visited Paxton Pits today. We had a scope and still found it hard to see some of the birds due to the long distance they remained together - due to the frozen water

Kingfisher Hide - Heronry North and South Lake

Red Crested Pochard (x2) M and F - showing very well.

Lots of Ducks, Geese, and one or two waders remained in one small area in the middle of Heronry North lake due to the lake being frozen over

So pleased due to the fact I have never seen a Red Crested Pochard before :-O

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Nice one Kathy, they're rather funky birds aren't they!

Hi Paul

Yes, they are just the most 'dandy' looking birds ever. The male is one handsome boy. o:D

The red beak, and that chestnut hair piece is something else.

Have you ever seen one yourself?

Regards
Kathy
x

I have! I had a pair on my patch last winter and have seen some in a wildfowl collection at Blakeney too. :t:

Attachments

• rcpochardf.jpg
    rcpochardf.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 66
  • rcpochard.jpg
    rcpochard.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 63
I have! I had a pair on my patch last winter and have seen some in a wildfowl collection at Blakeney too. :t:

Hi Fozzy

Superb photos from yourself, and it is great to see them in your patch too. Blakeney is another place we have not been to yet!

Paxton Pits is such a short distance from where we stay in Bedford - we will have another look in the near future and see if the Great Crested Pochards remain in the area.

I sent an e-mail to Paxton Pits stating this sighting - and it looks although the two birds have been around for a few days now - so that is good news :t:

They have a lot of related Pochards there too. I have never seen so many in one spot. Both species are showing well.

Regards
Kathy
x

Thanks Kathy. Those were captive birds as it's a collection maintained by the local wildfowlers up at Blakeney but it's a great way to see lots of wildfowl up close - the birds there will come right up to the wire fence at the edge of the pond so you got superb views! When we stay at Blakeney we usually head there from the bus and sit on the benches there for a bit while having some lunch (and feeding the Jackdaws) before going to the cottage - always gets us in the mood, especially if you spot a Marsh Harrier over the marshes in the background!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back