• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

Hume's Leaf Warbler

Hi All

Better weather again today, like Tuesday, so I went back to see the HLW again this afternoon. A repeat performance, as the bird had not been seen since a sighting earlier today I understand, so once again a no-show for me until mid-afternoon ... and then it eventually called and showed on two occasions within half an hour !
Both times, after calling it suddenly appeared very close to the pylon -and then flew into the adjacent trees and worked it's way through them, feeding quite well by the looks of it. In fact whenever the sun came out, there were good numbers of insects in the air, especially over the narrowest part of the little muddy and partly flooded path, so hopefully this bird will go on to survive - somewhere !
Only three other birders coming and going at different times, with just the North Staffs birder with me when the bird showed. Based purely on my visits, patience is the key, if you have yet to see this little cracker, and a decent bit of weather with some sunshine.

Cheers
Andy R.

Green winged Teal Morton Bagot.

Excellent views of drake Green winged Teal A little distant but best to view from footpath so as not to spook them. 2 Green Sandpipers loads of Snipe and a few Lapwing. Good numbers of farmland birds as well Yellowhammers Linnets Reed Bunt and Skylarks
Difficult to describe location but from footpath between small chained gate and raised bridge across field away from main pools basically flooded fields behind farm. Let others describe area who know best way to access site.

Attachments

• DSC06154 (2).jpg
    DSC06154 (2).jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Firecrest singing in the plantation in-between Windmill Pool and the Reservoir pub at Earlswood Lakes this afternoon. I will be there tomorrow morning looking for it, but if still present it shouldn't be too hard to find by those with okay hearing as the plantation is quite small.

Green-winged Teal was still present this evening along with 6 Green Sandpipers. As Trevor says, please do not enter the flash field as this will definitely flush the birds. The farmer has in the past asked people not to enter too.

Matt

Last edited:

Yep, smashing photo. I think Vern was the guy I met on arrival this afternoon who pointed out a couple in a car in the car park performing a sexual act?! If so, he was with a guy who'd been tape-luring it. Can I ask birders not to do this if the bird lingers further, as this could be a problem for it if everyone does it, plus the bird has been quite confiding at times with a bit of patience.
Kind regards,
Matt

Yep, smashing photo. I think Vern was the guy I met on arrival this afternoon who pointed out a couple in a car in the car park performing a sexual act?! If so, he was with a guy who'd been tape-luring it. Can I ask birders not to do this if the bird lingers further, as this could be a problem for it if everyone does it, plus the bird has been quite confiding at times with a bit of patience.
Kind regards,
Matt

It is an awesome photo but, like you say, I did wonder if it had been tape lured as soon as I saw the shot. Presume he didn't try and tape lure out the couple from the car with 'The best of dogging 2014' cd...;)

Brilliant pic but I also thought why was it so animated.......

Hi Matt...is there a map anywhere describing where the access to the Firecrest and Teal are...Is the Firecrest in the woods at the corner of Windmill.
To help all concerned and stop people (me) roaming in the wrong areas it would be useful.
Is the dogging(???) car park the pub one...hope its not the one by Terrys Pool.
Keith :t:

It is an awesome photo but, like you say, I did wonder if it had been tape lured as soon as I saw the shot. Presume he didn't try and tape lure out the couple from the car with 'The best of dogging 2014' cd...;)

Vern has just contacted me saying he was on his own and wasn't playing a tape when he took the photos.

I'm sorry if my previous message has caused some misunderstanding but the second guy in the car park had certainly been using a tape lure. He went back into the wood looking for something he'd lost and I followed him in. The Firecrest was calling but hidden for a while, and this guy offered to play a recording on his phone to draw the bird out for me, saying he'd done it earlier by placing the phone on the ground, pointing at the base of a tree sapling, and the bird had come out to it.

Don't want to start a witch-hunt, but can we just let the bird feed up in peace.

Matt

Brilliant pic but I also thought why was it so animated.......

Hi Matt...is there a map anywhere describing where the access to the Firecrest and Teal are...Is the Firecrest in the woods at the corner of Windmill.
To help all concerned and stop people (me) roaming in the wrong areas it would be useful.
Is the dogging(???) car park the pub one...hope its not the one by Terrys Pool.
Keith :t:

PM sent.

A nice set of photographs - it's a pity that somebody could'nt be @rsed to exerecise a bit of patience and fieldcraft - for a Firecrest, dear me.....:C

Laurie:t:

;)was good to meet you Yesterday Matt and the view from the car park was very interesting as well as the views in the coppice (wondering if they need a carp park attendant );)

Managed some better shots of the Firecrest yesterday after some very poor ones the day before.
I was there between 12.00 and 2.00 PM and it showed very well sometimes close on occasions.It was singing very well and unless there are two of them there someone was using a tape lure.

Max

Attachments

• IMG_4281.JPG
    IMG_4281.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_4284.JPG
    IMG_4284.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 154
Will hopefully go for this on sunday morning, no the location well as i used to Fishing at that lake back in the day...

Are there any reports of the bird today ? was hoping to see it myself at the weekend when I got off work. Hope the playing of recorded song has not frightend it off..:-C

Richard Harbird has now posted the following information on his blog regarding access/viewing of the Green-winged Teal at Morton Bagot:

Richard Harbird said:
Where is Morton Bagot? I'm not sure how unfamiliar you may be with the area, but Morton Bagot is just east of Redditch. To get to see the flash, and hopefully the GWT, park on the road somewhere near Church Farm at SP112647, then follow the footpath west across two fields and through two small gates until you get to a point where you will be able to view the flashes through the hedge at SP105646. Please do not enter the flash field as it would, a. upset the farmer, and b. flush everything.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back