• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (5 Viewers)

Grid reference link on birdguides is incorrect showing area of Bourton-on-the-Water this is in the Cotswolds I believe.
I have not been yet but in area SP20122 91477.

Regards, John

Where would folks suggest is the best place to park for the Hume's? Am I right in pressuming its near the bend in the Tame between Atlantic Plastics and DHL (according to google maps)?

Take Edison Road and park where all the other cars are. Then take the footpath down to the right and under the bridge for 50 -100 metres.

Cheers for the tips - the army of cars there ended up being enough of a sign post for it! A quick two showings was all I got but great all the same; hopefully it'll stick around till next weekend for another look.

It showed well perched up in a couple of trees mid afternoon yesterday - that's as good as it usually gets with this elusive species. Very happy with yesterday's views.

Couple of poor record shots on my blog(Seeswood pool & beyond) & on the excellent Tame Valley Birding Blog! Unfortunately the camera was in the car when I found the bird & showed very well for the 1st hour but I didn't want to lose track of the bird before people started arriving!! Longest 3/4 of an hour ever!!

Hume's Yellow-browed Warbler

This morning, with patience, it was viewable from the road (here) and gave fantastic views down to just a few feet. However, following its movements were more difficult (unless it was calling) than down below on the muddy area but when it did show it was the best views I've ever had of the species. You just have to be patient and hope it pops up in front of you.

Brian

This morning, with patience, it was viewable from the road (here) and gave fantastic views down to just a few feet. However, following its movements were more difficult (unless it was calling) than down below on the muddy area but when it did show it was the best views I've ever had of the species. You just have to be patient and hope it pops up in front of you.

Brian

Brian's comments in his last sentence applied perfectly today when, between mid-day and mid-afternoon, the HLW showed at least half a dozen times. Views were often very brief, and some in flight as it flew backwards and forwards across the very muddy top path near the pylon.
But at least fifty birders came and went in that time, including some from Leicestershire and Derbyshire - and for quite a few including myself, it was a lifer ... so well done again to Dave Hutton for finding this little cracker.

Cheers
Andy R.

I went there this morning and there were about 7 of us. It showed a fair few times in that muddy area just up from the river bank about 40 yards after the bridge. Lifer for me too.

Rob

I went there this morning and there were about 7 of us. It showed a fair few times in that muddy area just up from the river bank about 40 yards after the bridge. Lifer for me too.

Rob

I just hope it hangs about until Friday. That's the first chance I'll have to go for it since it was found. Fingers crossed I'll get it on the way back from work early Friday afternoon.

I just hope it hangs about until Friday. That's the first chance I'll have to go for it since it was found. Fingers crossed I'll get it on the way back from work early Friday afternoon.

Well, I managed to connect with the bird on Thursday before work and then again this morning. Today's encounter was much more satisfying though, allowing decent views so I could pick out the salient field marks. Well chuffed!!!

Hume's Leaf Warbler

Hi All

As the Hams Hall bird is my first Hume's Leaf Warbler, in spite of getting six mainly fleeting views a fortnight ago on my first trip, I went back this afternoon for a fourth time having dipped on my last two visits.
Two hours later, and surprisingly the only birder on site during all that time, I was about to leave frustrated just after 3.15pm with no sight nor sound of the bird anywhere, when 'hey presto' ... that "sort of pied wagtail call" stopped me in my tracks as the bird flew into the trees on the riverside of the small track nearest the pylon. After watching it for two or three minutes as it moved through the trees, I was convinced I saw the single wing bar and that it was the HLW.
Fortunately, I was chatting to another birder who had arrived soon after, more experienced than me, and 'hey presto' again ... we both suddenly heard 'that call' and watched the bird go into the brambles below those trees. Although in view for less than a minute, it was close by and Dean was able to confirm my thoughts ... so a good last half hour as it turned out.

Cheers
Andy R.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back