• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Warwickshire (1 Viewer)

Interesting you mention it being only a few feet from the shoreline. Today presumably the same BT Diver which left Shustoke turned up at Carsington Water here in Derbyshire. At first it was in deep water but then made its way into a small bay where it was feeding only a few feet from the shorline. In fact, most of the time it was like it was surface feeding like a dabbling duck.

Not a great photo but here's one I took today.

Looks just like the Shustoke bird so good chance its the same individual.

Phil

With Neil Howes I had the Night Heron this evening near where Mike had it yesterday. It flew towards Windmill pool but appeared to land in an oak tree mobbed by a crow. Couldn't see it from where we were so went to Springbrook Lane where we bumped into Max who had it fly over the road towards the railway and pool? Last reported over "the lane" at 9pm on pager.

Regards

John

Had cracking views of the Night Heron in flight over Springbrook Lane at about 9pm. For the birders who were still present and saw it there was celebration all around. It was one of those good birding moments.

Dean:t:

Last edited:
Where did it come up from, when you saw it at 9 (I assume you mean pm)? And where did it fly to?

Dipped on it tonight... not sure if it showed after I left. Hardly a consolation, but did get some shots of a ringed plover on the shore, from the causeway.

Matt - you can use any of them on your blog if you want. Cheers for the help today - maybe try again tomorrow, if I have time.

Great photos Pete, many thanks.

Around another 20-30 birders saw the Night Heron today, mostly flying over Springbrook Lane on one of the two occasions it did so.

Matt

The Night Heron should not be approached/disturbed particularly its roost site if known!! With patience and if it stays it should be seen from the causeway area or from Shorebrook Lane and I hope other birders get to see it over the next few days. Congratulations Matt on your find. I used to live 5 minutes away from Earlswood and this is a great bird for the area.

Last edited:
Had cracking views of the Night Heron in flight over Springbrook Lane at about 9pm. For the birders who were still present and saw it there was celebration all around. It was one of those good birding moments:t:

Hi All

Just wanted to echo Dean's words by saying we both agreed it was a memorable moment to see such a joyous group of birders, finally at 9pm, get great views of a terrific bird flying quite low almost over our heads... and then the group almost breaking out out into song ! So ... a little late I know ... but all together now ... "one Night Heron ... there's only one Night Heron .. one Night Heron .., there's only one Night Heeeeeron".
PS And a massive thank you again to the one and only Matt Griffiths, for finding the bird in the first place of course, but being so thoroughly helpful to all and sundry since then... "there's only one Matt Griffiths, one Matt Griffiths ... etc "

Cheers

Andy R.

I'll add my thanks to Matt too. I was amongst those who saw it last night and the mood was indeed one of elation - probably because we thought it eluded us after a long wait.

It first seemed to take a route we were not expecting and was not properly seen by all, prompting anguished debate of the "are you sure it wasn't a grey" type. Then as if it felt sorry for us all ;) it flew back to its expected trajectory and then flew serenely over our heads.

Even a newbie like me could see it properly and tell clearly what it was. Brilliant! Still buzzing this morning. I could get addicted to this if I'm not careful ;)

Paul

Dipped on it tonight... not sure if it showed after I left. Hardly a consolation, but did get some shots of a ringed plover on the shore, from the causeway.

Matt - you can use any of them on your blog if you want. Cheers for the help today - maybe try again tomorrow, if I have time.

Looks very much like the Tundra race

The Night Heron put in another apearence tonight around 8.15pm flying over the causeway, not the greatest of views with the setting sun behind it but good enough.

Jon

The Night Heron put in another apearence tonight around 8.15pm flying over the causeway, not the greatest of views with the setting sun behind it but good enough.

Jon

Missed it as I was checking on another area of the lakes - where did it appear to come from and where was it heading to?

Cheers
Phil

Missed it as I was checking on another area of the lakes - where did it appear to come from and where was it heading to?

Cheers
Phil

We where on Malthouse lane Phil..just off valley rd, The heron came from the direction of Terry's pool and flew pst us just 50yds or so to the east then seemed to drop into the area the other side of valley rd.

Jon

We where on Malthouse lane Phil..just off valley rd, The heron came from the direction of Terry's pool and flew pst us just 50yds or so to the east then seemed to drop into the area the other side of valley rd.

Jon

Thanks Jon - I was stood on Springbrook Lane hoping it was going to fly the other way :C:-C

No problem guys, glad you've seen it.

The bird was seen flying towards Terry's Pool early this morning (6:40 am), so the causeway may be the best bet if anyone wants to give this afternoon/evening a try.

In case anyone's interested I've seen a few Tree Bumblebees visiting raspberry flowers around Terry's Pool recently.

Matt

For Phil Owen (your PM quota is used up apparently):

Hi Phil,
I'd say it's best to go to the Malthouse Lane causeway in-between Engine and Windmill Pools, which was where the bird was seen from this morning. Hopefully if it's seen from Springbrook Lane (south of lakes) someone at the causeway will hear about it and we can make our way there.
Good luck,
Matt

Red Kite

A Red Kite flew south over Rugby Cement works this morning, what a lovely setting ;)

Regards

John

Attachments

• cementworks.jpg
    cementworks.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 75
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back