• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

I have decided not to submit after advice from the County recorder, regarding the white Auxilleries not being seen.
I was forwarded this excellent article
http://www.aba.org/birding/v37n2p156.pdf
The Wigeon was a match for 1st summer female American Wigeon, the artcle says the females moult in the breeding season, so this may answer the speckling due to moult . Ron said the picture, the only one taken was a little blurred so he sharpened the image.

Regards, John

News for the 12th May

1s fem Velvet Scoter, 4 Turnstone & 2 Arctic Tern - Belvide
2 Turnstone, Sanderling & Grey Plover - Drayton Bassett Pits on Jubilee Wetlands
Sanderling & 9 Arctic Tern - Blithfield

I have decided not to submit after advice from the County recorder, regarding the white Auxilleries not being seen.
I was forwarded this excellent article
http://www.aba.org/birding/v37n2p156.pdf
The Wigeon was a match for 1st summer female American Wigeon, the artcle says the females moult in the breeding season, so this may answer the speckling due to moult . Ron said the picture, the only one taken was a little blurred so he sharpened the image.

Regards, John

Ron Thomas now 73 years old, said at Alvecote he found a Ringed neck Duck and Savi's Warbler in the past, I suppose at that date all of Alvecote and Ammington was then in Warwickshire.

News for the 13th May

1s fem Velvet Scoter & Arctic Tern - Belvide
Barwit, Turnstone & 2 Arctic Tern - Drayton Bassett Pits
2 Whimbrel - Whitemore Haye

News for the 16th May

1s Spoonbill - Belvide from 17.20-18.35 then flew off north also 1s Velvet Scoter still
Grey Plover & 1s Little Gull - Blithfield
Grey Plover - Branston Pits on Sandy Pit
Garganey - Drayton Bassett Pits on North Pit

News for the 19th May

Pec Sand - Drayton Bassett Pits until 08.30 also Barwit, 9 Sanderling & Garganey
2 Little Tern & 6 Black Tern - Blithfield until late evening only also Sanderling, Whimbrel & Arctic Tern
Marsh Harrier - Belvide flew NW also Black Tern

Finally a bit of decent movement again after the sunbathing weekend...bit more of the same as today I'd expect from tomorrow...well, definitely will be for me stuck at work!

News for the 21st May

Imm/fem Marsh Harrier - Belvide also escaped 1w White-fronted Goose
Barwit & Garganey - Drayton Bassett Pits on North Pit

News for the 23rd May

Curlew Sand - Belvide until late am only also drake Garganey and prob escaped White-fronted Goose
Barwit - Blithfield in Blithe bay
Barwit - Branston Pits on Sandy pit

News for the 25th May

2 summer plumage Black-necked Grebe - Belvide also Sanderling thru
Black Tern, Turnstone & drake Garganey - Drayton Bassett Pits
2 Garganey & Barwit - Branston Pits
Sanderling - Uttoxeter Quarry

Off for a week in Wales with the family from early tomorrow, so no Birdforum Staffs updates from me until next Saturday. As always up to date news on Staffordshire Bird News. I'm sure something will turn up while I'm away (it usual does but they haven't stuck or been twitchable recently!!)...but tomorrow is 'Staffs Mega Monday' after all...

News for the 2nd June

Little Stint, Sanderling, Turnstone & 2 drake Garganey - Drayton Bassett Pits
Drake Common Scoter - Belvide from Scott hide

Hi All

Managed to catch up with the Blithfield Spoonbillbriefly this afternoon. It was asleep at the very top of Tad Bay and so giving decent scope views to several non-WMBC members also present along Newton Hurst Lane. The bird was still present at 4.30.
(Thanks to Arthur Warden for texting me, while I was out and about.)

Cheers
Andy R.

News for the 12th June

Grey Plover - Belvide on the shingle island am only

Can't think we get too many June summer plumage Grey Plovers? Shame it wasn't a Pacific Golden!! ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back