• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (5 Viewers)

News for the 3rd Jan

Great White Egret - Gailey on the sailing lake also Juv Great Northern Diver still

Finally got this on my Gailey list thanks to Keith Aslett who found it this am. A nervous wait until lunchtime when I escaped work to find it perched on the dam. It was being continually pushed around by an adult Grey Heron but kept returning to the dam or south side reedbed and once to the southwest corner of the fishing reservoir. At least it was a welcome break from Crossbill confusion...and a bit easier to ID...;)

Velvet Scoter, Long-tailed Duck & redhead Smew - Aqualate
Long-tailed Duck & 4 x 1w Scaup - still Belvide
8 Waxwing - Stoke at Orbital Retail Park, Hanley
Juv Glaucous & 3 Caspian (2 x ad, 1w) Gull - Chasewater roost
Great Grey Shrike - still Cannock Chase at trig point also 15 Crossbill over
70-80 Crossbill - still Cannock Chase at Horse Pasture Coppice including 2+ 'bigger birds' still

I must admit I'm still confused as to the difference between the birds in post 5453 and some of the Budby birds but to the expert eye they are clearly obvious.

I think the Parrot incursion this year has been an eye-opening experience for many, like me who naively thought they would be obvious. You're not alone at all.

And the Chase birds "may" be Parrots, even Lindsay admits they are not easy, that there are crossovers, and remember you have seen them in the flesh. He is probably right but you never know :t:

Might finally stir myself into action re the Velvet Scoter. Have never been to Aqualate - what is access / viewing like?

Possible Parrot Xbill at Hanchurch

I spent 2 hours chasing the 100-120 birds at Hanchurch Woods this morning in pretty gloomy weather but did see a possible male which had 2 equally sized mandibles and quite a chunky neck. It looked larger than the accompanying common xbills but I didn't hear any unusual calls as it was in with all the others.

The birds there are pretty mobile but today they seem to be feeding in the following area: If you drive down Dog Lane from the S-o-T end, reach the top of the hill, drive down to the dip where there's a cottage on your left, there's a layby immediately after on the left and a path leading up hill - they are feeding at the top of that hill about 2-300 yards from the road SJ836393. They also turn up in the clearfell area at the top of the hill past the woodcutters cottage (top car park - Stoke end of the woods) but no sign of them there this morning. They may go there as they drink from the puddles.

Looking through the discussion above, I'd say the bird was similar looking to the Cannock Chase birds.

Last edited:
Might finally stir myself into action re the Velvet Scoter. Have never been to Aqualate - what is access / viewing like?

Access is easy:- from A518 take road signposted to quarry (at a crossroads) and the car park is a short distance on left. The walk to hide is about 10 minutes with wellies pretty much essential. Viewing is generally bad to awful with many ducks a long way away (or not on view). I struck lucky today with the Velvet on 3rd attempt! The Smew and Long-Tailed Duck were both seen at extreme range by a few.

The Gailey GWE showed well at times today but was pretty mobile often being harassed by a Grey Heron. It showed on the dam, causeway, northern edge of sailing lake, south edge reeds and also around the fishing pool.

It headed west just after first light but reappeared shortly after. It again headed west early afternoon just before I left but presumably returned according to the pager.

This is my 3rd GWE at Gailey in as many years. I never thought this would have happened a few years ago!

Also on site, the GN Diver, a showy Kingfisher and Willow Tit. The latter getting increasingly scarce and difficult to locate at Gailey.

I spent 2 hours chasing the 100-120 birds at Hanchurch Woods this morning in pretty gloomy weather but did see a possible male which had 2 equally sized mandibles and quite a chunky neck. It looked larger than the accompanying common xbills but I didn't hear any unusual calls as it was in with all the others.

Looking through the discussion above, I'd say the bird was similar looking to the Cannock Chase birds.

Good luck with that one, Nick...if it looks like the Chase birds!! I'm still as confused today as I was before...and that's without even venturing up the Chase for more punishment...;)

Extra News for the 4th Jan

1w Long-tailed Duck & 4 x 1w Scaup - still Belvide
Juv Glaucous & ad Caspian Gull - Chasewater roost
Male & ringtail Hen Harrier - Swallow Moss this evening

Last edited:
I went up the Chase this afternoon, this morning there was upwards of 100 Crossbill in the area and speaking to others included the bigger female. This was not the case whilst I was there, the flock was still about the same as I saw before (50+) and included the bigger billed male that was happy to snap the cones off. I am presuming now that NO bulging lower mandible then its not a Parrot, anybody?

I think its all very well seeing images of classic birds, surely like most species there is a great deal of individuality.

I think that now that they have been rubbished on this thread there really seems little or no interest in people going to have a look for there selves.

Can we have a classic please, or better still one with two bars that calls like a trumpet.

So Nick if you think yours up at Hanchurch looks like one of these, you may as well forget about it.

Good luck with that one, Nick...if it looks like the Chase birds!! I'm still as confused today as I was before...and that's without even venturing up the Chase for more punishment...;)

Extra News for the 4th Jan

1w Long-tailed Duck & 4 x 1w Scaup - still Belvide
Juv Glaucous & ad Caspian Gull - Chasewater roost
Male & ringtail Hen Harrier - Swallow Moss this evening

I went up the Chase this afternoon, this morning there was upwards of 100 Crossbill in the area and speaking to others included the bigger female. This was not the case whilst I was there, the flock was still about the same as I saw before (50+) and included the bigger billed male that was happy to snap the cones off. I am presuming now that NO bulging lower mandible then its not a Parrot, anybody?

I think its all very well seeing images of classic birds, surely like most species there is a great deal of individuality.

I think that now that they have been rubbished on this thread there really seems little or no interest in people going to have a look for there selves.

Can we have a classic please, or better still one with two bars that calls like a trumpet.

So Nick if you think yours up at Hanchurch looks like one of these, you may as well forget about it.

I think that sounds about right, Martyn. I'm still confused as to how, especially these two birds, can look so different yet still be just Common Crossbill. I'm willing to bow to expert opinion as, until this influx, I can't say I've ever studied Crossbill much other than looking for any obvious wing bars! I don't think no lower mandible 'bulge' is conclusive - it seems to be the majority of the current influx don't show it from the internet photos. I did notice that on the Ashdown Forest birds that they were considered probably Common on first photos by some experts and only when other photos (of a bigger bird?) in the flock and a conclusive sonogram was produced did opinion change to Parrot. I think a sonogram of the call is the 'golden ticket' to 'internet jury' (and maybe committee) acceptance. I don't think the story is over yet, I'd still advise people to go up if they can - someone might get a recording of the call...or a roaming Two-barred might join the flock...:t:

Yeah I have'nt seen them but agree, if someone can get a recording, or even a photo showing the putative Parrot alongside the Commons for size comparison, that would help.

Hardly any of the Budby Parrots have bulging lower mandibles.

Crossbills

I've had an email from a crossbill ringer who's had a look at Steve and Sturs photos and he believes them all to be common crossbills. So I'd include the one I saw as a common crossbill now on that basis. If I get anything different back from others I've contacted, I'll let you know.

But I agree, it's worth continuing to keep a look out. The Hanchurch flock has certainly increased recently and there should be some movement in the coming months.

Staffordshire Category A Changes

Effective from 1/1/2014, due to increased numbers in the county, the following species have been removed from Category A, meaning descriptions / photographs no longer need to be submitted.

Cetti's Warbler, Caspian Gull, Bittern.

Thanks Nick, wasn't 100% sure but good to confirm. Interesting though that this one bird seemed to do it all the time, while 'classic' Commons appeared to just be feeding on the cones attached. Certainly not an ID feature by look of it but it was certainly using it's 'big bill' to full effect!

I visited this morning and also saw the large male, and watched it and others for about 45 minutes. About 40 birds still present, including a juv or female with double wing bars but not broad enough for Two-Barred.

I also noted that the large male much preferred to 'snip off' a cone and hold it in its feet standing up right on a main branch, rather than dangling at angles like the rest of them. Though I do not know whether this is a feature of large Commons, or Parrots. Looking at Youtube clips, it is striking how this "standing upright when feeding" feature is common for Parrots. I suspect both species do this at times, more so Parrot Crossbills.

Also the large bird did not take to flight with the main flock, it seemed loosely associated.

Very interesting bird though even if it is a Common. Maybe its one of these Scottish Crossbills.8-P

Last edited:
I've had an email from a crossbill ringer who's had a look at Steve and Sturs photos and he believes them all to be common crossbills. So I'd include the one I saw as a common crossbill now on that basis. If I get anything different back from others I've contacted, I'll let you know.

They are obvious Commons, don't know why people are having such a problem believing me in my previous post when I stated as much ?

Who is your "crossbill ringer" - I only know 3 people in addition to myself (in UK).

Lindsay

This is my final 'clutching at straws' attempt with the Chase Crossbills:

http://vimeo.com/83435123

This is the video of the calls I got on Thursday with the flock of Crossbills above us in the trees. All I can hear personally is 'glip' but as I have an 'untrained ear' maybe someone else (or someone who knows how to do a sonogram!) can find something different...but I'm guessing not...

But I agree, it's worth continuing to keep a look out. The Hanchurch flock has certainly increased recently and there should be some movement in the coming months.

Sturs photos were clearly Common Crossbills, I don't think anyone was proposing them as Parrots. Sturs was merely asking for opinion, these did not resemble any of the 'interesting' birds in the flock that Ian, Steve, Martyn myself and others have been along to have a look at.

I think we would all value Lindsay's educated opinion and that of your contact on the birds photographed so far, however there have certainly been a few birds that have looked interesting and possibly still evaded by cameras so far.

It's a shame if people have been put off from studying the flock for themselves. At worst it's a learning curve and that's worthwhile in itself. Maybe I am over-optimistic, but I'm hoping we manage to get a cast iron Parrot in the region :t:

Sturs photos were clearly Common Crossbills, I don't think anyone was proposing them as Parrots

The OP posted the pictures seemingly not knowing eg. therefore not ruling out Parrot ? Semantics I know, but still......

I agree with you that people should keep looking and recording. Those that have provided photographic and audio/video evidence, whether or not these may or may not contain Parrot types have at least had the benefit of debate through examination; spurious reports of "interesting" birds are just that, spurious in that they can not be examined or verified (to a level). Plus.....Common Crossbills are interesting too, possibly more so ! ;)

In order to get a Parrot record accepted at County level I think birders will need good field notes, photographs and of course supporting audio. If you approach from this perspective you will fare much better and at least give the committee ' a problem' ;)

My approach with big flocks is to 'carpet bomb' - basically stick with them and record everything. If Parrots are in these big flocks you will hopefully pick up the call. By making yourself familiar with the predominant common call(s) you will also be placed to pick up anything that is different. 4E's or glips are the easiest to do by ear so that is in your favour.

Lindsay

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back