• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

Caspian Tern

Looking at the rare bird thread for the Caspian Tern in Cheshire, it flew into Acre Nook Sand Quarry last night from the south-east. Makes you wonder whether the bird was at Rudyard yesterday too?

Anyway, a brilliant bird. It caught a fish just before flying off to roost. So there must be a good chance of it returning to Rudyard tomorrow.

Good to catch up with The Moore-hen and The Snapper too :t:. Also a sighting of our illustrious leader on the way, Mr George Michael. 3:)

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 14
What a cracker and well overdue addition to most Staffs lists. Nightmare 2.25hr journey with motorway and Stoke roads but well worth it! Good to see you too Rich although I must have dipped George by a few minutes, gutted...;)

Soz to anyone who tried to ring me (or who I didn't ring!) as I'd left my mobile at home in the morn and went straight from work.

Hope it's there in the morn, it looked pretty happy...famous last words!

Looking at the rare bird thread for the Caspian Tern in Cheshire, it flew into Acre Nook Sand Quarry last night from the south-east. Makes you wonder whether the bird was at Rudyard yesterday too?

Anyway, a brilliant bird. It caught a fish just before flying off to roost. So there must be a good chance of it returning to Rudyard tomorrow.

Good to catch up with The Moore-hen and The Snapper too :t:. Also a sighting of our illustrious leader on the way, Mr George Michael. 3:)

Certainly a very well received bird for Staffs birders! I assume it was a Staffs tick for the vast majority of us.

I imagine its been at Rudyard the last few days. It certainly looked settled and knew where to feed before heading off to roost.

If only it could come South and land on the raft at Gailey! :eek!:

Caspian Tern still present 15.25 at least at the north end of Rudyard. Today being aged as a 1st summer rather than moulting adult - I'll have to check other forums and the literature for why...!

caspian tern

a few shots from today.

steve.

Attachments

• DSCN8161 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN8161 (640x457).jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN8171 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN8171 (640x457).jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN8218 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN8218 (640x457).jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN8242 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN8242 (640x457).jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 25
Hi Tim,

Directions and map links here.

Brian

Hi

Thanks for the directions managed to go along and see it yesterday, looks like it was pulling in the crowds, as the parking area was almost full with even a few people using the lay by to look down at the lake for the bird.

Good to bump into Kay and Martyn as well.

Tim.

caspian tern

a few better shots of the Caspian tern today.

steve.

Attachments

• DSCN8385 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN8385 (640x458).jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCN8393 (640x457).jpg
    DSCN8393 (640x457).jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN8394 (640x459).jpg
    DSCN8394 (640x459).jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN8405 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN8405 (640x458).jpg
    163 KB · Views: 17
Certainly a very well received bird for Staffs birders! I assume it was a Staffs tick for the vast majority of us.

I imagine its been at Rudyard the last few days. It certainly looked settled and knew where to feed before heading off to roost.

If only it could come South and land on the raft at Gailey! :eek!:

Drove straight to Rudyard this afternoon direct from Manchester Airport - can't
believe its stuck around long enough for me to get it !! Thats the full set of Terns for me now in StaffsB :)

PS Obviously apart from Sooty Tern in 1852, I think Sam Claire was the only
one to see that;)

According to Lee Evans over 500 birders have now connected with the Caspian Tern, not sure if that's just in Staffs or at both sites, either way it's certainly drawn in the crowds, with the bird being more popular in Staffs ;)
Massive thanks to everyone who has sent in photo's to the blog, I'm sorry we couldn't fit every photo on but we managed to cater for everyone who contributed, I think!!

According to Lee Evans over 500 birders have now connected with the Caspian Tern!!

That will be about 300 then in reality - you know how he likes to exaggerate with numbers...;)

Congrats to Phil and glad it stuck around for you...:t:

News for the 29th July

Caspian Tern - Rudyard Lake until 14.55 when flew to it's Cheshire home
2s Caspian Gull - Blithfield also 3 Sanderling
Quail - Belvide singing but distant

I've often wondered how Mr LGRE (judge, jury and executioner) comes up with his twitch totals. Is it because he's a maverick, and doesn't take what other people say is fact? :-O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv2R9s2nVCc

He's up to 900 now!!! he must be hiding in the bushes at Rudyard with a little counter, either way, one things for sure its been a well watched and admired bird and put Staffs back on the map.

He's up to 900 now!!! he must be hiding in the bushes at Rudyard with a little counter, either way, one things for sure its been a well watched and admired bird and put Staffs back on the map.

No sign so far this morning - check your local patches:eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back