• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (1 Viewer)

News for the 25th Nov

Juv Great Northern Diver - Chasewater still on The Swag
7 Waxwing - Lichfield on Cappers Lane by Royal Mail

Good luck Damian, hope you get the Diver...:t:

The sunshine has just reached us up here and blue sky is now taking over with clouds moving on. Quite windy though! Heavy rain throughout the night. Me and Terry are about to head up the Mermaid pool to check for the Snow bunting. They have most likely moved on now but you never know. Will report back later but we could be gone for some time! .....and I promise no more You Tube footage links/findings for a while:-O

Dean:t:

Finally managed to see the Great Northern Diver at Chasewater this morning thanks to directions from Topspot and Moore-Hen. Cheers also to the friendly bunch of birders who pointed me in the right direction and for letting me have a peek through their scopes.

Damian.

News for the 25th Nov

7 Waxwing - Lichfield on Cappers Lane by Royal Mail

Good luck Damian, hope you get the Diver...:t:

Cheers Moore-hen. Was a little pushed for time but managed a good hour up there. Now can't wait for my WMBC membership to be processed so I can get up to Blithfield, Belvide and Gailey too.

Damian.

Philip Parson's films on You Tube include other recent historic footage from Gailey of a Red-necked Grebe, Juvenile Sabine Gull, Franklin's Gull and some interesting footage of scarce gulls at Stubbers Green including Iceland, Glaucous and Caspian species. All fascinating film footage and kinda brings it all alive.

Cheers for posting these Dean :t:. The Gailey birds bring back some great memories of exciting finds(despite two of them being 'sloppy seconds'). 'Frank' in particular will be remembered for a long time.

Shame this autumn hasn't produced much there and virtually nothing of note this weekend. :-C

The Chasewater GND showed very well late morning from the railway causeway, also a flyover Waxwing just after midday.

Pleased you enjoyed the links to the film footage of those birds:t:

Myself and Terry Eyre visited the Mermaid Pool twice today with the knowledge that they had by now gone. When we first arrives there was a strong wind and no sighting. We visited again mid afternoon when the wind had dropped a little and again no sign.

Dean:t:

Around 30 Waxwings around the Cappers Lane area of Lichfield, although later report of up to 80 in area.

Late afternoon at Blithfield - 2 Scaup, 1 adult Caspian Gull and 2 adult Yellow-legged Gulls. The Great Northen Diver was around too, although we did not see it.

Cheers Moore-hen. Was a little pushed for time but managed a good hour up there. Now can't wait for my WMBC membership to be processed so I can get up to Blithfield, Belvide and Gailey too.

Damian.

Nice one Damian, good stuff! Wouldn't worry about membership for Gailey you can just walk in from Gailey Lea Lane - just park off the road but not in sailing or fishermans car parks - bit stricter for Belvide and Blithers tho!

Extra News for 25th Nov

Ad Iceland & ad Med Gull - Chasewater roost
3 Scaup - Blithfield (1w drake & 2 female)
3 Short-eared Owl - Boarsgrove
80+ Waxwing - Lichfield on Europa Way at Walter Tipper Ltd - WS14 9TZ

Last edited:
The last of times I have tried to log onto Steve's Belvide blog it is been down - is it just a temporary glitch?

Hi Phil and all,

At the moment it appears that the Surfbirds data base is down, so I'm unable to update the blog at the moment. This has also effected the stop press photos and all other stuff to do with surfbirds.
Hope it's sorted soon.

Cheers Steve

Hi Phil and all,

At the moment it appears that the Surfbirds data base is down, so I'm unable to update the blog at the moment. This has also effected the stop press photos and all other stuff to do with surfbirds.
Hope it's sorted soon.

Cheers Steve

Whilst I havent been to Belvide for 12+ months its always to drop in to keep up to date with sightings (and your ever-growing year list :t:)

Whilst I havent been to Belvide for 12+ months its always to drop in to keep up to date with sightings (and your ever-growing year list :t:)

Belvide blog and Surfbirds working fine this am Phil and updated for yday - no rare or scarce yday but some impressive flooding shots!

News for the 26th Nov

Juv Great Northern Diver - Pool Hall near Trescott (also present yday!)

Drove past there yday - typical! Assuming it is on the fishery pools, viewed by walking along the canal towpath from by the garden centre? I seem to remember that was the quickest route? (saw a Slav there many years back) rather than on the pool by the road?

Photo on the Staffs Bird News site.

Great Northern Diver - Blithfield still at the dam end
Adult Caspian & adult Med Gull - Belvide
100+ Waxwing - Lichfield at Europa Way at 10.45
15 Waxwing - Stoke on Cavour Street at 15.00
20 Waxwing - west over Codsall at 09.05
2 Waxwing - Stoke opp FWB building in Whieldon Road

Last edited:
Great Northern Diver

imm Great Northern Diver s/v/well on the small Pool Hall fishing pool till at least 2:00 pm. Nice to have some news from this part of staffs.
gwr

imm Great Northern Diver s/v/well on the small Pool Hall fishing pool till at least 2:00 pm. Nice to have some news from this part of staffs.
gwr

Nice one Geoff! Is the best way to access by walking along the towpath from the bridge over the canal by the garden centre? I can't get up until Thurs anoon due to work but would love to see it if it's still around then

Extra News for the 27th Nov

Juv Great Northern Diver - still Chasewater on The Swag also ad Iceland & 1w Caspian Gull in the roost
Juv Great Northern Diver - Blithfield off the dam am only
80+ Waxwing - Lichfield btwn Capper Lane & Europa Way
200 Pink-footed Geese - Cheddleton flew SE along Churnet Valley
Pink-footed Goose & ad Med Gull - Belvide

Last edited:
Nice one Geoff! Is the best way to access by walking along the towpath from the bridge over the canal by the garden centre? I can't get up until Thurs anoon due to work but would love to see it if it's still around then

Hi Ian, Thats prob the best way but the path along the res is pretty muddy. The GND is at the deep end so I walked back via the Mopps Farm bridge then along canal towpath.
gwr

Hi Ian, Thats prob the best way but the path along the res is pretty muddy. The GND is at the deep end so I walked back via the Mopps Farm bridge then along canal towpath.
gwr

Thanks Geoff, should be able to give it a go Thurs or Friday work permitting - unless of course it was the Belvide bird!?

News for the 28th Nov

Juv Great Northern Diver - still Pool Hall this am.
Juv Great Northern Diver - still Chaswater on Swag this am
Juv Great Northern Diver - Belvide 14.00-c14.45 only.
Great Northern Diver - Uttoxeter Quarry this am only also 15 Whooper Swan & Common Sand
84 Waxwing - Lichfield still on Europa Way
50 Waxwing - Dosthill in garden on Ascot Drive
3 Waxwing - Wolverhampton flew over towards Molineux

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back