• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (3 Viewers)

Hmm. I've seen Glossys in a few different countries, and I can't ever recall them soaring like that. When you looked through binoculars, could you see the legs trailing behind the tail? Can't make that out from the photo, the wings look a bit broad too.

There has been a Bald Ibis knocking about in recent times. I drove past it on the 24th May, in a field near Leek when on my way to Manchester airport. It's also been seen in Ch*shire and up towards Manchester.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=234730

More than happy to be proved wrong of course, but I just wonder if it's this bird again, seeing the light and leaving Cheshire 8-P.

No I did not pick up the legs - just the head shape that suggested Ibis to me and the all-dark colour. I did see one a few weeks back. I suppose I will never know for sure but after 40 years birding I do know that it was something out of the ordinary!

Dave

No I did not pick up the legs - just the head shape that suggested Ibis to me and the all-dark colour. I did see one a few weeks back. I suppose I will never know for sure but after 40 years birding I do know that it was something out of the ordinary!

Dave

Hi Dave

Difficult to comment based on the fact I've only viewed the pic on phone rather than PC but certainly an Ibis but would have to agree with Richard that wings look a bit too broad for Glossy and also can't make out trailing legs but when I zoom in it's too pixcelated on my phone. I'm sure someone will have a good look on a PC and post more on here.

News for the 25th July

2 Juv Black-necked Grebe - Blithfield in Tad bay also 4 Arctic Tern

Looks right for Bald Ibis in flight profile having seen 150 free flying introduced birds in SE Turkey, nice bulky tail and broad wings. Next couple of pots on my blog will have a few flight shots.

Hi Dave

Difficult to comment based on the fact I've only viewed the pic on phone rather than PC but certainly an Ibis but would have to agree with Richard that wings look a bit too broad for Glossy and also can't make out trailing legs but when I zoom in it's too pixcelated on my phone. I'm sure someone will have a good look on a PC and post more on here.

News for the 25th July

2 Juv Black-necked Grebe - Blithfield in Tad bay also 4 Arctic Tern

Hi

A rather lucky friend in Kidsgrove has had a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker in their garden last weekend.
Was thought to have been a Great Spotted at first, but had no red plumage what so ever and a Great Spotted came into the garden at the same time so the size difference became obvious to them.

Have to say I am rather jealous just get Great Spotted in my Silverdale garden.

Tim.

Where abouts in Kidsgrove? Any near by woodland it might be in? Would love to catch up with one (finally!).

Adam

Where abouts in Kidsgrove? Any near by woodland it might be in? Would love to catch up with one (finally!).

Adam

Hi Adam

I am not totally sure where abouts in Kidsgrove they live, they do have some area of woodland near them I believe I will ask the question and get back to you.

Tim.

Adam

Hi Adam

I have an address now for the sighting of the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, their address is ST71UR, looks like they back on to Bath Pool Park.
Not too far away from Westport Lake so maybe one day they will turn up there.

They do have a photo of the bird as well.

Tim.

Hi Adam

I have an address now for the sighting of the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, their address is ST71UR, looks like they back on to Bath Pool Park.

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Lesser Spots have been seen at Westport in the past but I think its Nov 1989 since the last one, I maybe be wrong with that date and I'm sure Nick can confirm.

News for the 27th July

2 Med Gull (ad+Juv) - Croxden Quarry
Red-crested Pochard - drake still Belvide

Off for a weeks family hol in Wales tomorrow so sure something good will turn up - it did last time I went away in June, just (luckily for me!) it was on private land! Not sure what pager / Internet coverage I will have but will update when I can...:t:

Hi Adam

Tim.

Thanks for that Tim. I'll try and get down to Bath Pool when I can.

Adam

Last edited:
3 Yellow-Legged Gulls on Gailey Sailing Lake this afternoon(comprising adult + 2 1st s). This coincided with a large influx of Lesser Black-Backs of which there were 160 on the water at one point(good number for Gailey!)

Black-Headed Gulls have also increased significantly so will hopefully bring something in with them.

News for the 8th Aug

Female Honey Buzzard - low over Stramshall towards Uttoxeter Pits at 19.35
Drake Red-crested Pochard - Belvide

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back