• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rare and Scarce Birds in Staffordshire (2 Viewers)

Hi Stuart,

Just click cancel in the box and you can continue to view the blog.

The names Nei,l Steve, I was at the working party at Belvide last Sunday when we were burning the scrub. Nice to meet up for a bit of work and a chat. See you soon.

Didn't Manty break the record a couple of yrs ago - 212 in 2006?

2006 - Graham Mant. Staffordshire 212 (B.O.U.) HIGHLIGHTS = FRANKLIN`S GULL. + Finding LESSER SCAUP (Blithfield`s first). Manx shearwater, Leach`s storm-petrel & 4 Pectoral sandpipers @ Blithfield & co-finding Staff`s first Roseate tern for 23 years & Blithfield`s first for 32 years. + Great-northern diver (3) Black-necked, Red-necked (3) & Slavonian grebe. Leach`s storm-petrel (2). Manx shearwater. Shag. Bittern. Whooper (9) & Bewick`s (7) swan. Brent (2), White-fronted, Tundra bean (4), Barnacle (39) & Pink-footed goose. American wigeon. Red-breasted merganzer (3). LESSER SCAUP (2). FERRUGINOUS DUCK. Long-tailed duck. Quail. Red grouse. Osprey (3). Goshawk. Hen & Marsh harrier. Red kite. Avocet (2). Grey plover (4). Pectoral sandpiper (5). Temminck`s stint (2). Spotted redshank (3). Bar-tailed godwit. Great skua. FRANKLIN`S, Sabine`s, Yellow-legged, Iceland & Glaucous gull. Kittiwake. Roseate, Sandwich & Little (2) tern. Long-eared owl. Hoopoe. Wood lark. Red-backed & Great-grey shrike. Black redstart (2). Yellow-browed, Cetti`s & Dartford warbler. Firecrest. Mealy redpoll. Twite. Hawfinch. Snow bunting.
are you sure this is grahams staffs year list would be good for Norfolk, no wonder he left worcestershire

I remember when i did my Staffordshire Year List in 2003 how stressful it was.

Yes, I lost count the amount of times I phoned you first thing in the morning, to tell you of something decent at Belvide, to be greeted by your mothers voice saying "He's still in bed Steven"!!!!:cat:

Ummmm yeh, cheers Nutt, i do seem to remember a few morning calls disturbing my hangovers to tell me what was at 'the golden pond'...mornings have never really been my 'fortay' clashed too much with the aftermath of my other hobby...partying!! Oh well i still managed 200 without getting up til midday...;) I didn't know Manty saw so many species in 2006 thats an incredible today for Staffs...so for anyone thinking of doing a Staffs Year List in 2010 and trying to beat the record...don't bother! :-O

News from the 11th Nov

2 Caspian (near-adult & 3rd winter), 6 Yellow-legged and adult Med Gulls + 6 adult Whooper Swan (then flew SE) at Chasewater (also on the Chasewater Wildlife Group site)

http://www.chasewater.org.uk/

Little Egret (not really scarce now tho), Snow Goose (very scarce...;)) and 4 adult Yellow-legged Gull at Belvide

I think we all know this site but i'll stick a link in just to keep Golden Balls happy...B :)

http://www.surfbirds.com/blog/Belvide84/

Cheers....:t:

Last edited:
Didn't Manty break the record a couple of yrs ago - 212 in 2006?

2006 - Graham Mant. Staffordshire 212 (B.O.U.) HIGHLIGHTS = FRANKLIN`S GULL. + Finding LESSER SCAUP (Blithfield`s first). Manx shearwater, Leach`s storm-petrel & 4 Pectoral sandpipers @ Blithfield & co-finding Staff`s first Roseate tern for 23 years & Blithfield`s first for 32 years. + Great-northern diver (3) Black-necked, Red-necked (3) & Slavonian grebe. Leach`s storm-petrel (2). Manx shearwater. Shag. Bittern. Whooper (9) & Bewick`s (7) swan. Brent (2), White-fronted, Tundra bean (4), Barnacle (39) & Pink-footed goose. American wigeon. Red-breasted merganzer (3). LESSER SCAUP (2). FERRUGINOUS DUCK. Long-tailed duck. Quail. Red grouse. Osprey (3). Goshawk. Hen & Marsh harrier. Red kite. Avocet (2). Grey plover (4). Pectoral sandpiper (5). Temminck`s stint (2). Spotted redshank (3). Bar-tailed godwit. Great skua. FRANKLIN`S, Sabine`s, Yellow-legged, Iceland & Glaucous gull. Kittiwake. Roseate, Sandwich & Little (2) tern. Long-eared owl. Hoopoe. Wood lark. Red-backed & Great-grey shrike. Black redstart (2). Yellow-browed, Cetti`s & Dartford warbler. Firecrest. Mealy redpoll. Twite. Hawfinch. Snow bunting.

Topman, 212 and he never smiled once!!;) Our Graham would make a good quaker:t:

Andy.

More News from the 12th Nov

Marsh Harrier - Croxall - no further details of time / area etc (from WMBC hotline)

4 Crossbill & 6 Raven - Cannock Chase from the Trig point (not 100% sure where this is on the chase...sorry!)

Cheers...:t:

News for the 15th Nov

Red-throated Diver - briefly at Tittesworth Reservoir then flew off east (+4 Crossbill)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=71747&page=327

Snow Goose - still at Belvide (+Yellow-legged Gull)

News from the 14th Nov

2 Caspian (near-adult & 3rd winter), 2nd winter Yellow-legged and 1+ adult Med Gull - Chasewater roost

adult Little Gull briefly 13.30 at Belvide (+ 3 Yellow-legged Gull, adult Snow Goose)

30 Crossbill - Hanchurch Woods and 11 at Tittesworth Reservoir

Very quiet in Staffs at the moment and the hoped for gale force winds that were predicted never materialised. This is why i assume i saw some friendly faces from North Staffs 'twitching' the Belvide Snow Goose on Saturday morning...:-O only joking lads, good to see you again.

Last edited:
...ooh tasty, go on, give us a clue!

Congrats on already amassing a fantastic total.

Steve

Is it true what i hear Mart that the suppressed wader was a Dotterel again in this years suppression capital of W*rwickshire! Not Staffs i know but i'm sure any Warwickshire Listers (who didn't see it!) won't be happy...:C

Late News for the 15th Nov

drake Scaup - still at Blithfield
ad Med Gull - Chasewater

Supression

It is only gossip and I don't want to take it any further. Like other stuff, it will appear in the report in three years time when we have all forgotton about it I suppose.

Is it true what i hear Mart that the suppressed wader was a Dotterel again in this years suppression capital of W*rwickshire! Not Staffs i know but i'm sure any Warwickshire Listers (who didn't see it!) won't be happy...:C

Late News for the 15th Nov

drake Scaup - still at Blithfield
ad Med Gull - Chasewater

BLACK REDSTART
reported by a friend of mine who lives off Queens park Avenue in Longton, he is not a birder(Gone by a description he has given myself) but says its been there for two days. I will investigate and confirm as soon as I get chance this week.

News for the 15th Nov

Red-throated Diver - briefly at Tittesworth Reservoir then flew off east (+4 Crossbill)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=71747&page=327

Snow Goose - still at Belvide (+Yellow-legged Gull)

News from the 14th Nov

2 Caspian (near-adult & 3rd winter), 2nd winter Yellow-legged and 1+ adult Med Gull - Chasewater roost

adult Little Gull briefly 13.30 at Belvide (+ 3 Yellow-legged Gull, adult Snow Goose)

30 Crossbill - Hanchurch Woods and 11 at Tittesworth Reservoir

Very quiet in Staffs at the moment and the hoped for gale force winds that were predicted never materialised. This is why i assume i saw some friendly faces from North Staffs 'twitching' the Belvide Snow Goose on Saturday morning...:-O only joking lads, good to see you again.

Yes it was good to catch up with this Staffs mega. We met one of the regions topist year listers later at Blith. You should have seen him run when we told him it was wary, only showing distantly, didn't come to bread and in a flock of Greenlandic Greylag Geese - what a carrier species. Any reports of this top yr lister at Belv on Sunday taking a crafty peak?

Hello

Fair Isle Steve just posted me this thread - brilliant stuff so far guys.

Re: Nutcracker. Submitted directly to BBRC by finder. Initial prognosis - probably juv starlings, some key features of n/cr were omitted. So unfortunately can't see it getting accepted.

Cheers, Nick

Last edited:
Maybe the bird seen near Mossfield Ind Estate (SE of Berry Hill) - see the other Staffs thread for photos & details from late Oct.

BLACK REDSTART
reported by a friend of mine who lives off Queens park Avenue in Longton, he is not a birder(Gone by a description he has given myself) but says its been there for two days. I will investigate and confirm as soon as I get chance this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back