• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

R.F.I. about SW and NE Australia (1 Viewer)

Jose Ramon

Hi all,

I am planning to visit SW and NE Australia next fall and I it will be very helpful for me to receive some info from you. I have already been to Australia once, visiting Victoria and the area West of Gold Coast in Queensland.

My main target bird in SW Australia is the Noisy scrubbird (Atrichornis clamosus). As far as I know it could be get in the area East of Albany, SE of Perth and although it is a very hard bird to spot due to its secretive behaviour it seems that its territory is well defined at the end you can be able to find it.

Another interesting bird could be the Crested bellbird (Oreoica gutturalis) but all the endemic birds and the non endemic ones that I did not see in the East will be interesting.

I would also like to visit the NE around Cairns. My top priority there will be the Yellow-breasted boatbill (Machaerirhynchus flaviventer) as it belongs to a family new for me. It seems that it should not be difficult to spot.

Southern cassowary (Casuarius casuarius), all the endemic birds and any other new bird could be interesting for me. A visit to Cassowary house is in my plans

Then, my questions:

Do you have information about any reputed bird guide in any of each regions in case I need any support to find any difficult bird?

Of course, Australia in huge and you may stay there for the rest of your life looking for birds but, for a visit to the country of around 12 days, how many days do you consider that could be spent in each of both areas?

Is there any place in the areas that you believe that it is a must to visit?

What is the best month to visit the areas? (Please, take into account that I will visit one after the other)

Any piece of advice will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Hola Jose

SW Queensland
For the Noisy Scrubbird a reliable easily accessible spot is Cheynes Beach. You don't need a guide you just stay at the caravan park for a day or two and stake out the tracks behind the beach. https://www.cheynesbeachcaravanpark.com.au
Western (black throated) Whipbird and Western Bristlebird are here too, as well as other good birds that are less skulky such as White-breasted Robin and Carnaby's Black Cockatoo.

Corackerup National Park is a good spot not too far away for Crested Bellbird. They are more widespread generally but still tricky to see. Western (black throated) Whipbird is here too - a different subspecies though.

Avoid the summer months (November-March) as it can be blisteringly hot and bushfires (or the risk of bushfires) can shut down the parks.

NE

I have seen Cassowary at Cassowary House, and the Boatbill too. Mission Beach is more reliable for Cassowary.
Kingfisher Park / Mount Lewis at Julatten a bit further north are well worth 3-4 days to explore too. https://www.birdwatchers.com.au

If it was me I'd be inclined to spend 4-5 days in SW WA and 7-8 days in the NE Queensland at the end of October / early November (when you have a chance of early migrants arriving in Queensland like paradise kingfisher, but the rainy season hasn't hit full on yet)

I visited the cairns/atherton/julatten area late October/November this year for the first time. I saw 3 cassowary at etty bay south of cairns. Male and juv on entrance road and female on the beach. No entry charges and a very scenic area. I stayed 3 nights at kingfisher park in julatten at the end of my trip and really enjoyed it. Would say 3 nights would be minimum there. 4 or 5 more ideal. The owners know the surrounding area inside out and will share info(except bower locations). They also guide but not cheap. I did it all solo and saw most species that were around. You should see boatbill around there.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back