• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quiet or camo ? New Jacket needed. (1 Viewer)

Good evening. Need a "birding" jacket. Obviously, as I reside near Sheffield, I would prefer it to be waterproof but then it all gets complicated. For starters, I dont want to spend much on it - £50 ideally, £70 tops - so that rules out Paramo and country inovations (this could end up being a short thread) but as lad I remember tagging along with my Dad in alsorts so these arent brands essential.

The options that I've find so far are regatta (cheap, some noisy Waxbill isnt) US army Goretex £30 from here http://www.worldofsurplus.com/ishop/1061/shopscr569.html or maybe a cheap army/para windproof smock from here http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/ or maybe one those Montane Extremes (or evelent) all-in-one jobs from, well, pretty much anywhere.

Heres the rub. I remember scratching and rustling my way through Holcomb pines as a youth wearing a jacket that couldnt have made more noise if I had been wrapped in bubblewrap and eating a packet of crisps at the same time. I dont really want to get snotty looks from all and sundry if the same thing happened again. Also not sure if noise from a jacket would make much difference in a hide (thinking when stuff gets up close).

So any opinions on the above or alternatives that would keep warm and dry for most of the year would be great.

Last year I bought a camo jacket which is made of quiet material and is showerproof. It is 3/4 length and has good big pockets for notebooks, sketchbooks, sarnies, etc. I got it from a local army surplus/camping store and it cost all of £12.

Many thanks for your input everyone. It appears that "quiet" seems a better bet than noisy camo. The keela looks an interesting option - not sure about the longer length thing, but a bit of googling leads me to beleive they do a regular option. That said, for hide hopping on most reserves through most sorts of environment, a "nikwaxed" para smock sounds good and maybe a cheapo w.proof in case it tips down. I'll no doubt spend alot of time on reserves as well - certainly till I find my feet after not holding a pair of bins in anger for the better part of 17 years !

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back