• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (1 Viewer)

Jon.Bryant

Hi,

Just planning a trip to Texas and I note that The Inn at El Canelo shows up on EBird as a good spot for Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl. This seems like a better option to me than Kings Ranch as our time limitations means we really don't have a 1/2 or full day to spend on a ranch tour.

I am trying to work out if to see the owls at the Inn
  1. you need to stay at the Inn to bird the grounds
  2. you can pay to access the grounds (this was suggested on an old website), or
  3. you need to book a ranch tour like Kings and other ranches
The website for the Inn seems to be dead, and when I tried calling a number listed on the Internet it stated the number had been disconnected.

Does anyone know whether you can still visit the Inn grounds to try and see the owls, and if so how to arrange access?

Regards

Jon Bryant

My understanding is that the owls haven't been reported there for years, and I am not sure how much that lodge even caters to birders anymore. Or apparently is even open if the website and phone number no longer work. Ebird has the last sighting in 2015.

I think you are pretty much stuck with the King Ranch if you want a dependable location.

No problem. If you do go, please write up a trip report....I have no heard too many reports out of the ranch even know it is reliable for the species.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back