• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question for birders in Texas (1 Viewer)

Oakdryad5

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be moving to San Marcos TX (I'm currently in S. florida).. I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about birds I might easily see in Texas that aren't found in Florida. I've just started to get interested in birding and am eager to see different kinds of birds in the wild. Any info to help me out would be great!

Thanks,
Christine

Christine, you're moving from one of NA's best birding spots to another of NA's best birding spots! Just get out that old bird guide and start drooling.

Christine,

You'll be moving to one of the better birding areas in TX. San Marcos is right near the edge of the Balcones Escarpment, which acts roughly as the east-west dividing line for many bird species around here. You'll be close to arid-land species by going south (Pyrrhuloxia, Cactus Wren, Verdin, etc.). You'll be very close to breeding habitat of the two endemic or nearly-endemic species (Golden-cheeked Warbler, a true endemic, and Black-capped Vireo, which might as well be). Also, you'll be getting many eastern and central US species, including wintering longspurs and Mountain Plover.

Additionally, that part of the state has a very active birding community, and information about bird sightings is not hard to get. I live in Houston and often make the trip to that part of the state for a little variety. You'll be four hours or so from the outstanding birding areas on the Texas coast, so you can see the High Island/Sabine Woods/Quintana migratory extravaganza as well (something everyone should experience).

On behalf of Texas birders, let me welcome you. Continue to let us know if you have any questions.

Steve Gross
Houston

Thank you both so much for your help, I'm excited about the move and glad to know there will be so many good opportunities for birding in San Marcos :)

Christine, this is exciting news. I live about 30 miles from San Marcos. You will be the closest birder to me that I know of. Hey, maybe we can meet in Lockhart sometime and go birding together at the State park. When are you moving?

I'm moving this weekend, then I'll be going full time to grad school at Southwest Texas State in like a week. Once I get used to the area I plan on visiting parks and such to see some birds, that is of course if my school work isn't too time consuming. In any case, it would be fun to go birding but I'm not sure about my schedule yet!

Hi Christine,
Hope you will enjoy your time at the Uni in San Marcos. Its a lovely town and you'll be right on the doorstep for some great birding. We have a Listserv Forum in Texas which reports on bird sightings and other interesting stuff. You can access a daily update on it here:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/TEXS.html
To find out how to join the list go to:
http://www.texbirds.org

Here's another good website which has links to lots of other birding sites in Texas:
http://www.texasbirding.net

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back