• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Putative long toed stint in Qatar (1 Viewer)

mjgrunwell

Found this wader today, with lots of little stint but just not right, plumage wise just dark and blotchy but the jizz was longer legged, more hunched up, longer necked. At one point I was so frustrated with my ability to call it I said it must be a runt ruff, then a dunlin walked past and it was smaller than dunlin.
In flight the toes appeared to project beyond the tail. The legginess, long toes and hunched shoulder jizz just looks different.
The legs looked dark rather than pale but could be just dirty.

Please could a wader expert just tell me this is a grossly odd little stint?

Attachments

• PLTS 003.jpg
    PLTS 003.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 60
  • PLTS 002.jpg
    PLTS 002.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 144
  • PLTS 004.jpg
    PLTS 004.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 93
  • PLTS 005.jpg
    PLTS 005.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 100
  • PLTS 009 with LS.jpg
    PLTS 009 with LS.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 178
Thank you for your comments

It was interesting to discover that some little stints do have toes that extend beyond the tail.

It is clear now that this is an aberrant little stint, the legginess and distinctive hunched up stance may perhaps be due to a genetic mutation?
It is also strange that this bird was very aggresive to other little stints and the last to flush when approached.

I have seen this suite of characters before in calidrids generally:

Lanky or skinny, overly tame, aggressive to others of the same species, weird head shape, odd bare part colouration.

Maybe if we see 3 or more of these features it should act as a warning that it is just an aberrant individual.

Best regards from the State of Qatar.
Michael Grunwell

Hi Mike,

Good to hear from you.

I always remember watching Little Stints at Tophill Low. We used to get great views of them at low-level and were often drawn to the (relatively) long-legged appearance they could display. There is a tendency to believe they always appear dumpy with short legs. Not so.

Keep the posts coming.

Cheers

Frank

Last edited:
. We used to get great views of them at low-level and was often drawn to the (relatively) long-legged appearance they could display. There is a tendency to believe they always appear dumpy with short legs. Not so.

Agree with Frank, certainly helpful in sorting out an odd Little amongst Red-necked

Hi Mike
My sister lives in Doha and I'm trying to come over the end of January into February 2011, is there good birding in Qatar at that time of year?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back