• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pulborough RSPB ? (1 Viewer)

JohnZ

I have already posted similar on the "Your Birding Day" section as I am thinking of going to Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve.
As I am fairly new to all this I was hoping that somebody could give me a few pointers regarding this reserve.
Thank you.

P.S. Does anybody know if there are any maps of the reserve available please. I plan to get there fairly early so the Visitors Centre will not be open.

Well I am nearly up to thirty views and have yet to find anybody who has been to Pulborough apart from one person who kindly pm`d me.
It appears I heading for the longest lasting thread with no replies !

JohnZ said:
Well I am nearly up to thirty views and have yet to find anybody who has been to Pulborough apart from one person who kindly pm`d me.
It appears I heading for the longest lasting thread with no replies !

Its difficult to get lost at Pulborough. There is one path leading north and then west from the visitor's centre and then a circular path with four hides. I find the autumn to spring the best times as it can dry out in the summer, especially with the lack of rain this summer.

Thank you Leicaman. Since having posted this thread I have been to Pulborough. It is,as you say, fairly easy to get round with little chance of getting lost. Unfortunately when I went there was, as you suggested, very little water around and a lot of the birds were a long way away. There were plenty of other birds to see however and I shall go again.
Thank you.

Hi John

Hope you're still persevering! It'll get better in the next few months and it's always tough breaking in new stomping ground, I find. There's some good stuff coming in slowly at Pagham and Chichester gravel pits (PM me again anytime for info). :t:

Ps. I used to live in Kent - taken to airshows at Biggin Hill as a kid! You may want to try Bough Beech Reservoir about 30 minutes away from you. There's a nature reserve set aside from the fishing do dahs - Osprey, among other interesting birds have been spotted there I believe.

Full species list here:

http://www.kentos.org.uk/Bough Beech/BoughBeechspecies.htm

http://www.boughbeechfishing.com/

Last edited:
Hello Deborah

I will always persevere but last week at Pulborough really did test my patience to the limit. I took the wife with me and we walked round the reserve in almost total silence. Not a sound of any birds whatsoever ! There were very few birds to be seen at all. I don`t think it helps that the water there is still very low and the view from the second and last hides, Nettleys ?, is very poor to say the least.
When I first got my camera and stuff I used to go to Bough Beech most weekends. Bit of a strange set up as most of the folks stand by the road between the two lakes. I did find my way to the feeders which was excellent, so many birds, as it gave me a chance to practice with the camera. However they took the feeders down fairly early in the year and the majority of the birds went elsewhere.
Will get in touch soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back