• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Eastern Yellow Wagtail in Spain this evening (1 Viewer)

timsg80

Gregor Tims
I found this wagtail amid a White Wagtail roost in Mallorca this evening. My immediate thought was winter Western Yellow Wagtail, but it seems to be extremely grey for one. Is it a young winter plumage Western Yellow or something else?

Thanks!

Gregor

Attachments

• IMG_8238 (2).JPG
    IMG_8238 (2).JPG
    238.1 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8240 (2).JPG
    IMG_8240 (2).JPG
    437.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_8241 (2).JPG
    IMG_8241 (2).JPG
    821 KB · Views: 88
Hello Gregor,
I agree wih you, its a Yellow Wagtail. Please note against White Wagtail:
  • white breast, lacking any pattern/dark smudge
  • uniform dark ear-coverts
  • eye stripe doesnt encircle the ear-coverts
  • wing-bar on creater coverts, in White Wagtail black centered with white margins of variable wide
Its an interesting bird with a white belly, seemingly lacking any yellow or cream hue/tinge, and grey upperparts lacking any olive or brownish/buffish hue. Any more pictures showing the hind-claw or a recording of the call?

There is a chance it could be an Eastern Yellow Wagtail which is considered a separate species and first-winters look very much like this. The calls of Western and Eastern are normally quite different - I don't suppose you heard this bird call did you?

Thanks Alexander and Steve,

Eastern Yellow Wagtail did cross my mind, especially after looking at pictures of first winters on the internet just now! I couldn't hear it call sadly, it was with about 300 White Wagtails and the noise all blurred into one!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back