• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket Bird Book (1 Viewer)

Last Ten

Hi All

I have had a good look at this thread and would I be right in saying that a decent field guide book to distinguish different birds in the UK (OK Isle of Man really) would be the Collins one as mentioned in a pinned post at the beginning of this section?

I am new to this so I want to find a book that will help me.

Thank you

Peter

The Collins is the very best guide for all of Europe ( and North Africa - and the Atlantic Islands ) and it covers all the birds you're ever likely to see on the IOM. The one downside is that it covers a lot of stuff you won't. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting a copy though.

The Collins is the very best guide for all of Europe ( and North Africa - and the Atlantic Islands ) and it covers all the birds you're ever likely to see on the IOM. The one downside is that it covers a lot of stuff you won't. I wouldn't let that stop you from getting a copy though.

...and you might need decent-sized pockets!;)
MJB

There is a cut down version of the Svensson et al Collins that just covers Britain and Ireland in the pipeline but the date has slipped more than once and is now March 15

The Collins Guide is indeed the very best Field Guide available, but for a beginner it is daunting and as Chris has already mentioned it covers species you would never see on the IOM.
I still recommend The Pocket Guide to the Birds of Britain and North-West Europe by Chris Keightley and Steve Madge. ISBN 0713664444
It really is pocket sized and restricts the species to the ones you are likely to see. It is aimed at beginners but is not patronizing in its approach.
It came out in 1998, with an update in 2002 so some of the more recent splits are not included. Yellow-legged Gull is there but Caspian isn't. Balearic Shearwater is described (as Mediterranean) but Yelkouan isn't, but I suppose if you're thinking about Yelkouan Shearwater this book isn't for you anyway.
I think it is still in print, and looking on Amazon and www.abebooks.co.uk I see that you can get it for the princely sum of £0.01 (plus shipping) at the moment.

Darrell

Birdwatchers Pocket Book (Mitchell Beazley), small, cheap and covers everything although range info is minimal. Some colours are slightly too dark but other than that its the ideal field guide. As pointed out the Collins is streets ahed of the competition but is just too large/heavy.
Russ

Thank you everyone for all your help on this one, looks as if we're all going to have to wait for the Collins book �� But in the meantime I have ordered the book as recommended by Darrel Clegg, cheers Darrel ��

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back