• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plover?? (1 Viewer)

Boglin

Today my daughters came running in the house saying there was a bird outside they hadn't seen before. I went out and saw this little bird sitting on the ground. It was the size of a plover but I couldn't ID it from the Audubon field guide. It wasn't the least bit afraid and calmly sat there pruning while I sat next to it taking these pictures.

Maybe it's inbetween it's winter/spring plumage?? Or maybe I'm just really rusty. Any ideas? Oh and this is in southern Wisconsin if that helps.

Thanks,
- Chad

btw, sorry for not adding the location in the title. I'll be sure to do it next time.

Attachments

• bird_1.jpg
    bird_1.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 160
  • bird_2.jpg
    bird_2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 75
  • bird_3.jpg
    bird_3.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
It's a young Pigeon/Dove of some sort. Can't go further then that though as am not very familiar with American birds.

Cheers!

Dimitris

It certainly looks like a fledgling Dove, but it doesn't match what I see around here for the Mourning variety.

I think it looks like a newly fledged Ground-Dove of some kind but I've only seen Common and am unsure ofthe other options

I think it looks like a newly fledged Ground-Dove of some kind but I've only seen Common and am unsure ofthe other options

Wisconsin is well outside the normal range of all species of ground dove. If you look at the first link in my previous post, which is a photo of a juvenile mourning dove, you will see the subject bird looks almost identical.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Yes, it's a very young Mourning Dove. I don't think it's fledged early, just very very recently. Doves/pigeons often turn up walking about on the ground at this stage. You could do it a favour by putting it up in a thick bush, away from cats etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back