• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Plain Wren (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
NAOC - Vancouver 2012
Saucier. COMBINING POPULATION AND LANDSCAPE GENETIC APPROACHES TO TEST DIVERGENCE HYPOTHESES IN THE THRYOTHORUS MODESTUS COMPLEX. 296.
AOU/COS Meeting: Chicago, IL, Aug 2013
155: Saucier, Sánchez & Carling. Characterizing the morphological and genetic variation in the Plain Wren complex – with insights into biogeographic mechanisms of divergence in southern Central America.
Saucier, Sánchez & Carling 2015. Patterns of genetic and morphological divergence reveal a species complex in the Plain Wren (Cantorchilus modestus). Auk 132(4): 795–807. [abstract]
  • C [m] modestus - 'Cabanis's Wren' (incl 'roberti', 'vanrossemi' & undescribed taxon in c Belize)
  • C [m] elutus - 'Panama Wren'
  • C [m] zeledoni - 'Canebrake Wren'
    [Common names from Brewer 2001 (Wrens, Dippers and Thrashers)]
Kroodsma & Brewer 2005 (HBW 10):

Last edited:
Saucier, Sánchez & Carling 2015. Patterns of genetic and morphological divergence reveal a species complex in the Plain Wren (Cantorchilus modestus). Auk 132(4): 795–807. [abstract]
  • C [m] modestus - 'Cabanis's Wren' (incl 'roberti', 'vanrossemi' & undescribed taxon in c Belize)
  • C [m] elutus - 'Panama Wren'
  • C [m] zeledoni - 'Canebrake Wren'
    [Common names from Brewer 2001 (Wrens, Dippers and Thrashers)]
Kroodsma & Brewer 2005 (HBW 10):

IOC Update Diary:
Aug 5 Post proposed splits of Plain Wren on Updates/PS

I did not see this elsewhere in Birdforum, so a little on range:
modestus seems to be at Jaco on the CR west cost and north of there, and reach to San Jose and the higher areas east of there.
zeledoni seems to be lower on the slope east of San Jose.
elutus reaches north to San Isidro de El General, San Jose, Costa Rica, and is found from there to central Panama.
The break between modestus and elutus seems to be between Jaco and San Isidro de El General, but the authors state they have not investigated it further.

All the above from my reading of the AUK paper. Any errors are surely mine ;)

Niels

I did not see this elsewhere in Birdforum, so a little on range:
modestus seems to be at Jaco on the CR west cost and north of there, and reach to San Jose and the higher areas east of there.
zeledoni seems to be lower on the slope east of San Jose.
elutus reaches north to San Isidro de El General, San Jose, Costa Rica, and is found from there to central Panama.
The break between modestus and elutus seems to be between Jaco and San Isidro de El General, but the authors state they have not investigated it further.

All the above from my reading of the AUK paper. Any errors are surely mine ;)

EDIT: a few celebratory beers though, and I'd struggle with the pronunciation of one of the splits!

Niels

Thanks Niels, that's made my day :)

Last edited:
EDIT: a few celebratory beers though, and I'd struggle with the pronunciation of one of the splits!

Niels

Not to mention the spelling. They couldn't call it Panama Wren?

Then again, that might remind some of an old song by the New Riders of the Purple Sage! B :)

TiF Update July 8, 2016

Wrens: Saucier et al. (2016) found that the Plain Wren, Cantorchilus modestus, is actually three species: Cabanis's Wren, Cantorchilus modestus, Canebrake Wren, Cantorchilus zeledoni, and Isthmian Wren, Cantorchilus elutus. The split of Canebrake Wren had previously been advocated by Kroodsma and Brewer (2005). See also Mann et al. (2006)
[Troglodytidae, Certhioidea, 3.02]

Last edited:
Hi I saw Plain Wrens at La Colina Lodge Trail and Stella's Bakery, Monteverde, Costa Rica. Would these be Cabanis's Wrens please?
Thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back