• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pics from trip (1 Viewer)

Nice pics! Yeah definite Scintillant Hummingbirds. Do you recall where in Varablanca you had them?

Thanks Patrick,

In the garden at Tiquicia Lodge, should be very easy to see, in the flower bed outside the door to the rooms.

It's a nice place, L-t Silky Flycatcher and Slaty flowerpiercer in the garden plus other stuff, it's also where we had the Sharpie over.

A

Last edited:
Thanks Patrick,

In the garden at Tiquicia Lodge, should be very easy to see, in the flower bed outside the door to the rooms.

It's a nice place, L-t Silky Flycatcher and Slaty flowerpiercer in the garden plus other stuff, it's also where we had the Sharpie over.

A

Thanks! I'm planning a Big Day route and needed a spot for that one. That's right on the route, hopefully the road will stay open- Poas Volcano has woken up, the park is closed indefinitely!

Thanks! I'm planning a Big Day route and needed a spot for that one. That's right on the route, hopefully the road will stay open- Poas Volcano has woken up, the park is closed indefinitely!

Yeah, it started towards the end of our trip, we felt quite a big shake when we were at Las Palmas in the South.

At Tiquicia Lodge, as you exit the door from the rooms, Hummers are up on the right in the bushes.
The owner says that Volcano Hummer is there too btw.

A

Last edited:
Hi Andy, superb photos ! Why didn't mine come out like that :)
Poas was open when we went in February but was covered in cloud so all we saw was a squirrel !
I did see the attached which I thought was a Volcano Hummer....but I might be wrong.

Attachments

• 13.02 Hummer-2.jpg
    13.02 Hummer-2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 93
Hi Andy, superb photos ! Why didn't mine come out like that :)
Poas was open when we went in February but was covered in cloud so all we saw was a squirrel !
I did see the attached which I thought was a Volcano Hummer....but I might be wrong.

Thanks for the compliment,
unless you want to carry a 150-600mm lens with you, which my wife does, you'll struggle.

My wife is actually the photographer so the plaudits are hers.

I'd agree with Volcano for your Hummer.

We got great viws of Poas on a crystal clear day and Irazu but Arenal was almost rained off for the two days we had there. The volcanic activity started late in our second week but we were in the South by this time. The whole region seems a little unstable at the momement, as I said before, we experienced a couple of earth tremors, the second was the result of a 5.3 quake in nearby Panama.

We'll continue to post pics for a while yet, still plenty more to do.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back