• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peregrine/Barabary or hybrid? (1 Viewer)

Helsinki Birder

Stealth Birder
Finland
Peregrine/Barbary or hybrid?

Any ideas on this Falcon? Forgive poor shots. Twas murky.
Note the rufous head and cheek markings. There is some shadowing making the upper parts darker than they were in life.
The breast was remarkably clean white, with barring strongest on the flanks.
My own conlusion is Barbary falcon, as i could not see any real Non-Barbary features. Note what appears to be the remains of jesses/rings on the legs.

Pariah

Attachments

• Barbary-perry1.jpg
    Barbary-perry1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Barbary-perry5.jpg
    Barbary-perry5.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Barbary-perry7.jpg
    Barbary-perry7.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 82
  • Barbary-perry9.jpg
    Barbary-perry9.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Barbary-perry6.jpg
    Barbary-perry6.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Definitely not lanner.
Good flight views (no shots of this unfortunately) showed clean underwings, no trace of a dark covert bar. It was down to a perry/ Barb or a hybrid of some sort.Im not saying there couldnt be lanner in the mix somewhere, but there was little or no pro lanner features other than the rufous head markings.

Pariah

i would tend to go for Lanner as well.I think there is too much barring for Barbary.
Its a pity the pics are not a bit better.

keith

Looks very like a bird that I saw here on the beach on 2000. I never got to the bottom of what that was either! Lanner/Peregine Peregrine/Merlin were not ruled out, but fem Barbary remained my best guess.

This could be one of any number of hybrids between falcon species eg I've seen gyr x merlin advertised which didn't look like any of the parents

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back