• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pedro Hocking (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Unfortunately as we have to wait until the BOW key is released I am not able to check if this information about Peter (Pedro) Hocking is present in the key. If we read here

Los padres de Pedro Hocking, misioneros estadounidenses, llegaron al Perú para dedicarse a la actividad misionera en Pucallpa. Su viaje en barco siguió la ruta directa de Nueva York a Iquitos, surcando el río Amazonas. Realizaron una estadía de casi un año en Iquitos con la finalidad de aprender castellano. Pedro nació en esta ciudad el 7 de julio de 1938.

So it looks like he was born 7 July 1938 in Pucallpa.

I did not check the OD of Psittacara hockingi Arndt, 2006 and of Megascops koepckeae hockingi Fjeldså et al., 2012 but he seems indeed the most likely candidate. Or at least the owl here:

Etymology.—We name this owl for Pedro Hocking, in honour of his life-long efforts to document the Peruvian avifauna, notably the poorly explored forests of the central Peruvian Andes.

The other must be in...

Thomas Arndt: A revision of the 'Aratinga mitrata' complex, with the description of one new species, two new subspecies and species-level status of 'Aratinga alticola'. In: Journal of Ornithology. Vol 147, No. 1, 2006, pp. 73–86

...which I do not have access to.

His middle name seems to be Peter Joseph Hocking as here as Peter Joseph Hocking Weeks.

Take it for what's worth.

Last edited:
...which I do not have access to.
It says:
Etymology The species is named after the Peruvian ornithologist Peter Hocking from Lima with whom the author has been friends for years. Peter Hocking has worked in Peru for decades for numerous museums and was the person who pointed out the existence of the new Aratinga species to me.

Martin, I would think the dear old HBW (no longer Alive) Key had him as Peter Hocking, as James, in the Helm Dictionary of Scientific Bird Names (2010), quoted Fraser 2006, for the Aratinga taxon. See attached excerpt, ... but who knows, much has happened since.

Either way, I think you're looking at the proper Peter 'Pedro' Hocking (born 1938). As his Parents (apparently) were from the US, I assume his Given name was/is Peter, (even if) born in Peru, where he was (and possibly/most likely still is?) known as Pedro (and certainly so among local Peruvians, and other Spanish-talking folks). With Parents who were "misioneros estadounidenses" (American missionaries) I would be very surprised if his baptismal (first, Christian) name wasn't Peter.

I have also seen both versions of Hocking's First given name (Peter vs Pedro) in various Papers. For example/s; see Ornitología Neotropical 13, (4), from 2000, introducing "Pyrrhura peruviana, sp. nov. Hocking [himself], Blake and Joseph", on pp. 356-357 (here). He's also listed, as "Peter Hocking", in the long List of Acknowledgements (among many, many other ornithologists, on p.9) in Birds of Peru (Revised and Updated Edition, 2010, here).

By the way, Thomas Arndt's Paper (of 2005/2006), with the OD of Psittacara hockingi, is accessible, in full, on ResearchGate, uploaded by Arndt himself (here).

In 2014 Hocking (under his Spanish name Pedro J. Hocking Weeks) wrote a piece on; Criptoaves del Perú, in Boletín UNOP (Unión de Ornitólogos del Perú), Vol. 9 (3), here. Also used in the following issue (vol 10, here). As a sign of how well-known he (and his Spanish First name) has become, among Peruvian naturalists, he even got yet another new species of "his own"; an ichneumon wasp Alophophion pedroi ALVARADO 2015 (here).

However; I think that Irma Franke's phrase (from the 2015 blog): "Aunque su formación no fue científica, la contribución de Peter Joseph Hocking Weeks, o Pedro Hocking como es conocido en Lima, ..." indicates, to me, that his Original name ought to have been Peter Joseph Hocking (Weeks is most likely his Mother's Maiden name, added in the Spanish tradition), "o Pedro Hocking como es conocido en Lima" (or Pedro Hocking as he is known in Lima). To me (thanks to Google Translate) ... it all make sense.

For whatever that is worth.

If Weeks anyway, anyhow, does belong in his full true name (as being born in Peru, and there possibly registered as such?) I cannot tell. See for example here (bottom p.1+), or here (No.21).

In any case; he is not to confuse with the Australian Botanist Peter J. Hocking, Department of Botany, University of Western Australia. ;)

Good luck untangling the last pieces!

Björn

PS. Also see here (all in Spanish!). If relevant?
--

Attachments

• Jobling. 2010 - hockingi.jpg
    Jobling. 2010 - hockingi.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
On 27 March 2020, the Key told us:
Dr Peter 'Pedro' J. Hocking (fl. 2012) Peruvian ornithologist, zoologist, missionary founder of Segadores, collector (subsp. Megascops koepckeae, syn. Psittacara mitratus).

Only for the sake of completeness The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Hocking's Parakeet Aratinga hockingi Arndt, 2006 NCR [Taxonomy disputed; may not be separate from Aratinga mitrata]
Koepcke's Screech Owl ssp. Megascops koepckeae hockingi Fjeldså et al. 2012 [Alt. Apurimac Screech Owl ssp.]
Dr Peter 'Pedro' J. Hocking is a Peruvian zoologist, biologist and ornithologist at the Peruvian Natural History Museum in Lima. He was born in Peru to American missionary parents and studied at Bible College in the USA before returning to Peru (1963), renouncing his American citizenship, and taking Peruvian nationality. He is interested in cryptozoology, for example writing 'Large Peruvian mammals unknown to zoology' (1992). An amphibian is named after him.

Telmatobius hockingi
Salas and Sinsch, 1996 OD here
Etymology. - The specific name (a noun in the genetive case) is a patronym for Pedro HOCKING of the Natural History Museum of the San Marcos University (MHNSM), Lima, in recognition for his important contributions to the knowledge of biodiversity of Peru.

Peter Joseph Hocking Weeks (b. 1938) may or may not updated in the key.

Just to confirm his mother was Jeannette Weeks. I think the nationality information needs a tweak as he lives in Florida and De Moine. I could upload his birth certificate confirming his US citizenship but will not as he is still alive.

As Peter's grandson, I figured I'd chime in to make sure the facts are fully straight:
  • His given legal name is Peter Joseph Hocking, but his Spanish first name is Pedro.
  • The reason Weeks is in his last name occasionally is because it is spanish culture to have both the paternal and maternal last names.
  • He is still alive and well, and currently resides in Lima, Peru. In fact, he recently had his 83rd birthday!
  • He is a Peruvian citizen
If you need me to ask for any more information just let me know!

An Obituary was published in the most recent issue (November 2022) of the Journal Revista Peruana de Biología, Vol. 29 (No. 4), written by Irma Franke, Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos, Museo de Historia Natural, Departamento de Ornitología, Lima, Perú

In Memoriam Pedro Hocking (1938-2022): tras la avifauna de los poco estudiados bosques de los Andes del Perú

In Memoriam Pedro Hocking (1938-2022): going after the avifauna of the poorly studied forests of the Andes of Peru
Abstract
Peter Joseph Hocking Weeks, or Pedro Hocking as he was known in Lima, was born in Pucallpa on July 7, 1938 and died in Lima on October 31, 2022. Pedro Hocking did not have a scientific background, but he was recognized as a naturalist for his contributions to the knowledge and documentation of Peruvian birds. Pedro Hocking was part of a generation passionate for biodiversity, for whom each locality visited was a new world that contained unknown species and that did not have field guides or current technological resources to identify in situ those that were already known. It was a time when the collection of specimens was the basic tool to know the biodiversity of a locality and the main activity of the expeditions. Although his main interest was birds, his contributions were not limited to them but included other groups of fauna as well.
Here (also with access to the full PDF, all in Spanish).

R.I.P.

Last edited:
Even if it is written in the obituary that he was born in Pucallpa the text of the obituary is inconsistant. So we can read there as well:
Los padres de Pedro Hocking, de nacionalidad estadounidense, llegaron al Perú para dedicarse a la actividad misionera en Pucallpa. Su viaje en barco siguió la ruta directa de Nueva York a Iquitos, surcando el río Amazonas. Realizaron una estadía de casi un año en Iquitos con la finalidad de aprender castellano. En esta ciudad nació Pedro, el 7 de julio de 1938.

This would correspond with the passanger list attached.

Any idea when the parents died?

Father Joseph Hocking born 25. Dec. 1909 in Pensilvania
Mother as mentioned Jeannette Weeks born 2. Aug. 1913 in New York

A couple of brothers and sisters are born in Pucallpa.

Attachments

• Passenger list.png
    Passenger list.png
    889 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Joseph Hocking
Death 23 Apr. 1998 Claremont, Los Angeles, California, USA
Jeannette Weeks
Death 28 Dec 1999 • Claremont, Los Angeles, California, USA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back