• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pectoral Sandpiper and other goodies (1 Viewer)

Yesterday I went out to Lake Constance in search for anything good. Last Wednesday a Great Skua and a Sabine's Gull were seen, but since then the weather was to good and I hadn't much hope.
The ferry from Romanshorn to Friedrichshafen and back was absolutely unproductive, nothing than some Yellow-legged Gulls. A walk along the shore from Kesswil to Güttingen produced a nice male Eider and a juvenile Mediterranean Gull. A final lookout at Triboltingen was a bit better, with a Marsh Harrier, a Great White Egret and twenty Little Gulls. It was then when I received a text message about a Pectoral Sandpiper at the Flachsee Unterlunkhofen. I calculated my travel time and came to the conclusion that I would arrive in darkness.

So I got up early this morning and took the train and the bus to the Flachsee, which is near Zürich. I arrived in thick fog with some other birders and we started the search. A juvenile Ruff brought some confusion but as the fog lifted everyone was convinced that it wasn't the Pectoral Sandpiper. We went on, passing nice Kingfishers, some Ruddy Shelducks, some Red-crested Pochards and I was thinking about dipping again when another birder shouted "I got him!". Right he was indeed and I could observe my first Pectoral Sandpiper in Switzerland. It was a young bird, with all ID features clearly visible.

So my Swiss list is on 291 and there are only 9 more to go until I reach the magic 300:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back