• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Buntings (1 Viewer)

Mustang Birder

Jersey
Hi Guys
I will be visiting Florida in October and am hoping to find Painted Buntings, I have missed them on my last 2 visits.
Does anyone know of any good reliable sites for them?
I'm staying in Kissimmiee but I don't mind driving anywhere thats within 3 hours.

They are generally reliable at the feeders at Green Cay Wetlands, near the entrance and at another feeder halfway around the main boardwalk, near a gazebo. Green Cay Wetlands is in Boynton Beach. I think that's about 3 hours south of Kissimmee, sorry I don't know anywhere closer. But you can do Green Cay/Wakodahatchee/ARM Wildlife Refuge during that whole day; I think all three sites are within a few miles of each other.

Someone else may know a site closer to Kissimmee.

Okeheelee in Palm Beach county, a little north of Green Cay Wetlands, also has feeders which attracts lots of Painted Buntings, including males.

Carlos

thanks guys I think I will try to do Green cay and Okeheele probably on the same day, and will also be visiting Merrit island. I have almost 2 weeks so I'm going to try my best to find one.

Even for other birds besides the buntings, Green Cay along with the very close by Wakodahatchee is worth the drive - I've never been to those two parks without sighting at least 25 species of birds each in a single walkaround on the slowest of days...and during the right seasons, you can double or triple that. And the proximity of the birds, plus the sheer volume of them, is something rarely found outside zoos and aviaries.

Hi Zackiedawg I will probably visit both of those, hopefully get some great shots and find a painted bunting!.

I have heard Brian Piccolo park is good for Burrowing Owls, another species I really want to see, is that far from these sites?

It's not far from Green Cay, but will add another 45 minutes or so from Orlando/Kissimmee. Brian Piccolo is very reliable for burrowing owls, as long as you're in their season. They're at the park now...they might still be around in October. Buntings too should be around in Green Cay - though October hasn't been the best time to see them, they seem to have been at Green Cay nearly year-round now for the past couple of years. They used to be exceedingly rare there, but for some reason seem to be sticking around lately.

thanks Zackiedawg.
I will be driving from Kissimmee, I heard it will be around a 3 hour drive to green cay?
I will try kissimmee Prairie first, but if I dont find them I will probably have to try Brian piccolo park. I have seen most of the commoner Florida species on my previous trips so these 2 will be my main targets.

thanks Zackiedawg.
I will be driving from Kissimmee, I heard it will be around a 3 hour drive to green cay?

3 hours is about right, at most. The Florida Turnpike is the easiest route to get down here from Kissimmee, if you don't mind paying the toll...it's generally worth it since it's a smooth road, 70mph speed limit the whole way, and low traffic most of the way. I live close to Green Cay, and drive up to Disney World 5 or 6 times a year, so that's definitely a route I've taken a bunch. Brian Piccolo is roughly 35-45 minutes from Green Cay, given some more highway time to get south (25-30min) and another 10-15 minutes west on city roads.

Most likely - as far as I know, the owls there have become year-round residents...I've heard of sightings at any given month of the year. They're more active when they're breeding and nesting, but anything comes near their holes and they usually poke their heads out for a look. They actually build their nests wherever they feel like, often right on the edges of soccer fields and baseball fields, along the parking lot, etc. The burrows will usually be marked off with safety ropes to let people know the nest is there.

We saw painted buntings at a bird feeder at Bok tower Gardens. It's not very far from Orlando and it has stunning gardens. We also saw at their feeder tufted titmice, cardinals, blue jays, red winged blackbirds, and mourning doves.

Oakland Nature Preserve

I had a similar question, glad i found this thread. From reading online, it appears that Oakland Nature Preserve is a wintering site for Painted Buntings, and they are visible on the green trail according to the Great Florida Birding Trail info.

October seems to be migration time for Buntings. I believe the northeast coast nesting areas are the most reliable in summer...so i was wondering how to decide between nesting areas and wintering grounds. Since Oakland Nature Preserve is so close, figured it was worth checking out.

thanks KHamblett Merrit island will probably be my most visited area, so hopefully I will find some there and save me having to drive further south and thanks mustap I will have a look at oakland aswell. hopefully I get to see at least 1 somewhere.

Hi Guys
I will be visiting Florida in October and am hoping to find Painted Buntings, I have missed them on my last 2 visits.
Does anyone know of any good reliable sites for them?
I'm staying in Kissimmee but I don't mind driving anywhere that's within 3 hours.

Painted Bunting.. Just posted a photo of a pair.
Hard too find.. mostly back yard feeders.. Titusville head east on 406 ( Garden Street ) towards Playalinda Beach. After leaving US 1 and Garden Street you will pass over a very large bridge and several miles down the road you will see a sign for Black Point Drive excellent for birding! Further down the road mile + will be a Merritt Island National Sea Shore Welcome Center ( Free ) in the back yard in Oct -- March they have Painted Bunting at the feeders and all sorts of information.
This is the Northern Boundary of the Kennedy Space Center. And the Canaveral National Sea Shore.

Last edited:
thanks for the info TN Tin Man, that is very helpful I am hoping to find them at Merrit island so it saves me the drive south :)
much appreciated thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back