• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Owls of the World (Mikkola) (1 Viewer)

I wonder if there was pressure from Helm, to ensure consistency between the two complementary Helm owl guides? Otherwise it seems surprising, given that there has been very little uptake of K&W 2008 taxonomic decisions elsewhere.

I think it might be that no-one else is working on owls to the extent that K & W have done, and that much of the Palearctic owl DNA research has involved Michael Wink at Heidelberg. Re the slow uptake, a parallel case is that of Urqhuart 2002(?) and Stonechats, I would surmise...
MJB

I'd second Richard's recommendation of the book.
Given the cautious approach to the Otus megalotis and Ninox scutulata group it is rather surprising that Singapore Scops found its way in. I am not personally familiar with owls in that area I have heard significant guffawing from those who are.

I must say, having spent 15 minutes flicking through it yesterday I was disappointed with the lack of taxonomic and vocal research for the book, Mikkola hasn't seemed to even bother checking out latest publications or even xeno-canto, ie:

Flores Scops Owl - Vocalisations unknown, thought to largely be silent (see Forktail 23, and xeno-canto!).

Javan Scops Owl vocal description is largely inaccurate.

Brown 'Hawk Owl' - not split, given his willingness to split others that are not peer-reviewed splits, ie Singapore Scops Owl, Red Boobook ('said to be different' - though it clearly is not on current evidence!), Nias Wood Owl and Sunda Scops Owl (the latter of which goes against published molecular work which he deemed necessary for other groups).

What is the justification for splitting Sula Scops, and not Banggai Scops...

Vocal descriptions for highly variable 'groups', such as Southern Boobook complex are disappointingly brief and unexplained.

His choice of english names, ie Forest Spotted Owl rather than Forest Owlet - what is that about?!

Plenty of nice pictures, but I see the book as little more than a coffee-table photo guide. It would have been fantastic to have something similar to Helm's recent photographic monographs, though I agree with Richard, for the money, it offers good value.

Cheers,

James

Second Edition

Taxonomic changes in the Second Edition (2013) evident from the Google preview...

Additional splits (some were identified as potential splits in the first edition):
  1. Tyto (novaehollandiae) manusi – Manus Masked Owl
  2. Otus (megalotis) everetti – Mindanao Lowland Scops Owl
  3. Otus (megalotis) nigrorum – Visayan Lowland Scops Owl
  4. Otus (manadensis) kalidupae – Kalidupa Scops Owl
  5. Otus (manadensis) mendeni – Banggai Scops Owl
  6. Otus (manadensis) siaoensis – Siau Scops Owl
  7. Megascops (vermiculatus) centralis – Chocó Screech Owl
  8. Ninox (scutulata) japonica – Northern Boobook
  9. Ninox (scutulata) randi – Chocolate Boobook
  10. Ninox (philippensis) spilocephala – Mindanao Hawk Owl
  11. Ninox (philippensis) spilonotus – Romblon Hawk Owl
  12. Ninox (philippensis) rumseyi – Cebu Hawk Owl
  13. Ninox (philippensis) leventisi – Camiguin Hawk Owl
  14. Ninox (philippensis) reyi – Sulu Hawk Owl
  15. Ninox (jacquinoti) granti – Guadalcanal Boobook
  16. Ninox (jacquinoti) malaitae – Malaita Boobook
  17. Ninox (jacquinoti) roseoaxillaris – Makira Boobook
  18. Ninox (squamipila) hypogramma – Halmahera Boobook
  19. Ninox (squamipila) forbesi – Tanimbar Boobook
Also...
  • Mimizuku gurneyi is reassigned to Otus
  • Bubo scandiacus is reassigned to Nyctea scandiaca
  • Megascops sp Santa Marta Screech Owl is named M 'gilesi'
  • Athene poikilis has been zapped! ;)
[With thanks to Murray Lord for reporting on the Book forum.]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back